MBP not sleeping under 10.5 or 10.6

Discussion in 'macOS' started by stoutdog101, Sep 27, 2009.

1. stoutdog101 macrumors member

Hi all,

Ever since I reinstalled 10.5 last January, my MBP (early 2008) refuses to sleep automatically - it works fine if I direct it to sleep manually or close the lid. I had hoped that 10.6 would fix this issue, but it has not. All the settings are correct under System Preferences, so I have no clue what is going on.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. stoutdog101 thread starter macrumors member

Jessica,

Thank you. I followed Apple's instructions and nothing happened... my MBP still won't sleep. Am I supposed to notice anything different in the energy saver preferences, as all my settings were the same as before. How do I know the SMC reset actually took?

4. SMC1991 macrumors member

Try unchecking the option to "Put Hard Disks to Sleep When Possible".

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

At one time (for me anyway), if Firefox was running, my system wouldn't sleep on its own. My guess is that it was one of the extensions I had loaded. The problem eventually fixed itself.

If no programs are running, will it sleep? That'd at least help isolate if it's an OS/hardware issue vs. a non-sleepy app. :)

6. Graig macrumors 6502

Graig

I had this same problem with my iMac with 10.6.1 installed. The only way I was able to fix it was to reinstall.