MBP not working. I will fix it. Need some advice.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ChitoCrisis, Jul 26, 2011.

1. ChitoCrisis macrumors member

So I didn't have the latch on the back of my MBP and one time I grabbed it from there. My fingers must have pressed on to it too hard that it made a grinding sound. Next thing you know, the screen is gray with a question mark.

I took it to a local Apple Repair Store and they told me what the problem was. They said the hard disk failed and I would have to replace it. They sell harddrives there but it's too pricey. I was hoping you guys can help me find a place (store or online) to buy a cheap harddrive. I only know of newegg.com but I want to check other places just in case I can find a better deal.

Also, at certain angles, my MBP's touchpad gets like jammed and I won't be able to click or anything. I also told the repair guy at the store about this and he told me it might be a little loose. He said I can unscrew it and tighten it or something. How hard would this be to fix? I've never done anything like this.

Thanks in advance. I'm hoping to get this fixed because I hate using any laptop that isn't a Mac. I especially miss Mac OSX. :)

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

Can't tell you anything about the trackpad without knowing which MacBook Pro you have.

Yes, newegg is a good source for hard drives. You need a 2.5" SATA hard drive. Anything less than about 750GB will physically fit in any MBP. The actual height limits depend on the model of the MBP.

3. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

amazon.com is also good. but they charge sales tax if ur shipping to ny

4. ChitoCrisis thread starter macrumors member

Well I have MacBook Pro from late 2008.

I thought I had to buy Mac-only HDDs? So basically any 2.5" SATA HDD will be fine? I hope it's not too expensive.

5. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

6. ChitoCrisis thread starter macrumors member

7. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

8. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I've replaced several HD's on pre-unibody MBP's...the install itself is a snap, but getting the upper and lower frame apart and back together properly without bending it or leaving a gap is the tough part...the Unibodies are a breeze to reassemble. 8 screws and BAM! :D

9. riptideMBP macrumors 6502

fyi, there's no such thing as an osx or windows only hard drive... also you might want to consider a 7200 rpm drive to get a bit more speed.