MBP now, or bide my time with a Mini? Thanks!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by unicornstyle, Sep 4, 2010.

  1. unicornstyle macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2010
    #1
    Hi!

    Newbie here.

    I am looking to buy a new MBP and have several questions.

    I am currently using a 2005 powerbook G4 that has been very good to me (fingers crossed). It seems though it maybe time to let her have some rest. My question is is now a good time to buy the new MBP or should I wait?
    When I looked over the buyer's guide update cycle it seemed that it may be possible for a new model to be released/announced in Oct. Do people think this is possible or likely?

    Uses:
    I will be entering into a doc film production class where I have access to machines with FCP however, I will be looking to do editing (HD footage) on my own machine.

    I also do some photo editing, as well I am a heavy media consumer and will be writing papers and doing extensive research archiving.


    Machines:
    I am deciding between this ready to buy option available at my school
    15",
    1280 x 800 dpi resolution,
    2.66GHz Intel Core i7, 4GB ;
    500GB 5400-RPM Serial ATA HD,
    Intel HD Graphics5 and NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M with automatic graphics switching, 512MB GDDR3,

    or

    configuring the order (also through my school) with a better display and the 7200rpm HD

    I am also open to waiting until October in case new models come out and purchasing a mac mini just for paper writing/media viewing. The reason for this is I would eventually like a Mini to hook up to my TV/entertainment system. (I know this doesnt get me the free itouch, but I dont really need that anyway)

    Thanks for any and all advice or opinions! Apologies if this is in the wrong place or too long-winded. :D
     
  2. chayes macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2010
    #2
    if what you currently have meets your needs for the time being, wait.
     
  3. unicornstyle thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2010
    #3
    Hi thanks for your response!

    What I meant by waiting is just getting a mac mini in the mean time since what I have now is precarious.

    I am sorry if I was unclear before.
     
  4. brucem91 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 9, 2009
    #4
    that machine you listed from your school would be amazing for FCP, so if you can get it, get it. The only difference is that you listed the screen resolution as 1280x800, when it is really 1440x900(i am a MBPu 15" Owner). I use FCP on my 15", and it looks good even in the 1440x900 res, so I wouldn't worry about the high-rez. I've edited HD footage on mine no problem, and I have the older 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, so that i7 will be perfect. So I would say that if you could get the machine that the schools lists, then get it.
     
  5. unicornstyle thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2010
    #5
    Thanks, brucem91!
    I will probably get the one my school offers but I still may upgrade to 7200rpm. I want a machine that will last as long as possible.

    one more question, do you think that a mac mini can run light FCP work?

    Thanks again!!
     
  6. MonkeyET macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2009
    Location:
    Coachella, CA
    #6
    I wanted a Mac, and looked at the mini. I ended up with an iMac. Then I wanted a MB to accompany it. I ended up with a MBP. I like the idea of a mini in my home theater, but I am trying to avoid it.

    I would suggest getting the MBP if it is what you really want. It is way easy to pick up something else, but if the MBP is your main goal, do it. Otherwise you might end up with more than you planned. If you don't mind, or aren't worried about the funds, pick up the mini first. Worse case you end up with a cool accessory for your TV, or something awesome to get Mom and Dad to finally make the jump to Mac?
     
  7. brucem91 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 9, 2009
    #7
    I honestly wouldn't worry about the 7200 rpm HDD, as you will be wanting an external FW drive as a scratch disc anyway.

    And far as I can tell, I don't imagine a Mac mini would have a problem running FCP, and would probably do decently with HD footage(assuming you got the latest model with and got the 4 GB RAM model). Do you already have a spare keyboard, mouse, and monitor for a mini if you went that route?
     
  8. green86 macrumors 6502

    green86

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2007
    Location:
    North Carolina
    #8

    I'd definitely upgrade to a 7200 RPM of some kind, you'll notice the difference. A new Mac Mini should handle light FCP work just fine.
     
  9. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2008
    Location:
    Thule GL @ the TOW
    #9
    I got a top model prev gen mini, the 2.53Ghz model with 4Gb RAM and the 320Gb HDD for $507.00 BNIB as soon as the new models came out... yeah its C2D but it works great for an HTPC!

    I also ordered a FW800 external 3.5" case to house a faster HDD for use with it so I didn't have to bother opening up the case...
     
  10. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

    jbyun04

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2008
    Location:
    Canada
    #10
    You could wait. If they re-release the MBP with Sandy Bridge and the nVidia 400 series that would be a real kick in the pants for anyone who buys one now especially since 400s are based on Fermi. Fingers crossed.
     
  11. Giuly macrumors 68040

    Giuly

    #11
    Replace the hard drive yourself with a Momentus XT.

    Throw in 8GB of RAM after some time, and both the Mini or the MBP will last pretty long.
     
  12. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

    Santabean2000

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2007
    #12
    I'd pick up the mini if I were you. It's cheap, powerful(ish) and may well suit your needs. It's def a big jump over a PowerBook.

    And worse case scenario, you do need a MBP later, well good chance an updated spec will be available and mini can sit pretty by the tv.
     
  13. green86 macrumors 6502

    green86

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2007
    Location:
    North Carolina
    #13
    +1 The XT is awesome, and you'll probably never use the ram anytime soon.
     
  14. unicornstyle thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2010
    #14
    Thanks for all the great feedback folks!

    I think I am leaning toward the mini and the wait. Especially if I can do some FCP editing on there. I dont mind buying the keyboard, mouse and monitor because I like to have an ergo set up in my home anyway.

    so that said, anybody have any recs for specs on the mini?
    this is what my school offers for $649
    C2D 2.4GHz
    2GB
    320GB 5400RPM
    NVIDIA GeForce 320M
    (256MB shared)

    or is it worth bumping up the specs a bit. i noticed there is a refurbed mini server on the site for $200 more. That is probs way more computer than I need right now but maybe it would come in handy down the line? Just asking newbie questions here, dont kill me... :D

    (I wish I could be so bold as to replace my own hard drive right now! need to work up to that. Is there a way that I could practice on my G4 once I get the new machine?)

    and thanks Again for all the inputs!
     
  15. unicornstyle thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2010
    #15
    hey!

    just another thanks to everyone who gave me suggestions! in case anyone is curious...
    i went with the mini server believing that i would be able to work it like a regular (client) mini. (and because i liked the hardware)
    boy was i wrong.
    since i am working on zero knowledge, etc it was vastly more difficult than expected. i spoke to someone at tech support who helped me set it up as a reg mac, but i am frustrated now.
    i am probably going to return it for the basic mini. then i will get the MBP my school offers...

    i did do a search on the possibility of installing the snow leopard client but that appears to be difficult even for those with oodles more knowledge than me (which admittedly isn't much in this respect) :D

    I am interested in increasing my knowledge and am not usually this easily frustrated so if anyone has suggestions there, let e know. but perhaps that question is better addressed in a different forum.

    THANKS!
     

Share This Page