MBP now or later....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by keisanki, May 10, 2008.

  1. keisanki macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 10, 2008
    #1
    With the rumored update to the MBP in June I've been thrown into a sticky situation. I need a MBP for college in the fall, however, the question is whether or not to buy the current generation MBP or hold out for the possible revision.

    What really holds me back from waiting for the revision are the inevitable design flaws or oversights that crop up with new case designs. I would love to have a notebook that promises a lower operating temperature with Montivena and DDR3, however, it's the thought of having to grapple with any flaws during a college semester that scares me away from the newer units.

    My question is:

    Would you rather buy the current generation MBP (which suits my needs perfectly) or wait until the revision and pick up that MBP despite any possible design flaws?
     
  2. mackindergarten macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 21, 2008
    #2
    If it'll be announced in June you still have some months to get opinions and user experiences on the new MBP. If they're bad you can always go for a current gen MBP. If all's good you can go for the new one.

    Only my 2 cents.
    /Rupert
     
  3. Dragonforce macrumors 6502a

    Dragonforce

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2008
    Location:
    London (Ealing) UK
    #3
    I'd say buy it now - because imo the MBP in its current form and design is the best looking notebook period. Also, the Penryn MBPs from this revision run pretty cool - and the build quality is very good (except the display, as usual)
     
  4. asme macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2008
    #4
    I would wait for the revision and then buy a refurb current MBP at ridiculously slashed prices.

    c whut i did thar
     
  5. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2007
    #5
    Money burning a hole in your pocket??? :D

    Wait 30 days. If they come out with something new, the refurb prices will drop another 200 bucks or so.

    I'm about to buy two macbooks, one pro and one air. I'm waiting for just the reason above for the MBP and I"m hoping for a refreshed MBA in June. 30 days isn't that long to wait. You'll thank me next month.
     
  6. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2008
    #6
    What makes you guys think Apple is going to have a refresh ready to go in June? June is just when Intel is officially launching Montevina, or is suppost to anyways. That doesn't mean Apple is going to be through designing/testing the new refresh for launch the same month. Did Apple have the Penryn refresh ready to go the same month that Penryn was launched? I can't even remember now the month Intel started shipping Penryn without looking it up. That wasn't much of an update though.
     
  7. jnc macrumors 68020

    jnc

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2007
    Location:
    Nunya, Business TX
    #7
    Wait until Fall if you can, then you can score a free iPod too :D
     
  8. CraigGrocott macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 11, 2008
    Location:
    Loughborough, UK
    #8
    Somebody once told me:

    "There are two times to buy technology. Now, or never." ;)
     
  9. dwman macrumors 6502

    dwman

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2007
    Location:
    San Francisco
    #9
    I say wait. The current Penryn MBP are having serious video glitch issues. I hear what you're saying about a first-run next gen product, but as others have said, you still have several months before making your decision.
     
  10. NorCalLights macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2006
    #10
    Uhm.... they are? Mine isn't. Please remember that the vast majority of users have nothing but smooth experiences with their computers. Anything you read on forums like this is vastly exaggerated and shifted towards the negative.

    After all... if everything is going great for you, why post?

    To the OP: Buy whatever is out on the market 3 weeks before you leave for school. You'll have some time to get a replacement if you're super unlucky and get a lemon... but most likely, you'll be in hog-heaven and you'll have plenty of time to transfer all of your files to your new mac.
     

Share This Page