MBP Now or Later?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AnnieW, Jun 8, 2008.

1. AnnieW macrumors newbie

My current laptop is falling apart and I want to get my first Mac before school starts in late August.

What I need to know is when would be the opportune time to buy my MacBook Pro. My computer usage is mainly for watching/listening to media, going on the Internet and doing digital art (lots of Photoshop and Dreamweaver), but I'm not a gamer, so I don't think my needs are that immense. I know the "Montevina in July" situation, but is it going to be that significant, apart from speed? Are there going to be any redesigns or any other changes before late August? After Montevina comes out, are MBP prices probably going to change? Because if Montevina is the only thing that's going to change about MBPs, I might as well just buy one now instead of waiting. Doubly so if the prices will go higher.

I'm new to the Apple world (apart from owning two iPods) and I've done my best to research online, but some of this stuff is tough to tell without watching trends from the past.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Later. I am going to Ireland the first semester of my freshman year of college (this fall) starting August 10. I am confident in the fact that Apple will release Montevina MacBook Pros either at WWDC (not happening) or July 14 that I am waiting for them as well (I can't buy once I'm over there).

3. AnnieW thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, are Montevina MBPs going to be more expensive? Because if upgrades are usually accompanied by jumps in the price, I'm going to buy my slightly slower MBP now. I'm not super-obsessed with speed, to be quite honest. Even the lower end MBs would suit me fine right now, so the jump to MBP is kind of a luxury.

4. excalibur313 macrumors 6502a

excalibur313

Well for starters the prices probably won't go up with the new version. Apple keeps the base models' prices pretty constant after a release. Usually the only things that are rumored before a release is the processor because predicting things like the video card or wireless card is too difficult. The thing that a lot of people will tell you on this forum is that if you need it now then you should get it and to a large extent I think they are right. I don't think getting it now will put you at much of a disadvantage; I have a first generation macbook pro and I still really love it.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Mmm... historically, they're not. The MacBook Pros are still the same three prices as when they first came out.

Yep. Just checked. They haven't ever gone up in price for a revision.

6. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Furthermore, Intel is delaying Montevina until July 14. Apple isn't going to be able to implement them that day. I am going to wait up until September 15 if need be for a case revision (back to school promotion).

7. thinkband macrumors regular

Yeah, its pretty optimistic to expect an update by July 14. That would assume no more Montevina delays, and that Apple somehow got thousands of chips in advanced to put their macbook pros. Best guess is Septemberish for the next upgrade because that would give some lag time for them to prepare shipments and inventory.

On that note, don't expect a case revision. Seems like that would be a MWSF type of update if it was major.

8. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I expect them to be updated in the timeframe from mid-july to late fall. If you need it now, get it now. There's always something better around the corner. The current MBPs are VERY nice machines, I actually like then A LOT more than MacBooks (apart from the keyboard design, but its backlit so it evens it out ;) )

I think they will do a redesign this time though.