MBP now or later?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by varchar, Aug 7, 2009.

  1. varchar macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2008
    #1
    I am debating to buy a MBP now or in a few months from now.... Any chance that Apple will be releasing a new MBP in the September talks? I am thinking no since they recently did a release update of MBP.

    I actually have in my budget to get both a iMac and MBP. Trying to decide what to get first. I was thinking to get iMac now and MBP later, but now with the rumor that Apple will be releasing updated iMac in september, I am leaning toward MBP now.

    Thoughts?
     
  2. beaner454 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2003
    #2
    I'd say get the MBP now, like you said they upgraded them recently so you should be set for the time being. On top of during the time where you only have one machine, you'll be able to use it on the go & at home. Where as if you got the iMac first you'd only have a machine for home use.

    Also the iMac will most likely be upgraded next, since its current version has been around longer than the laptops.
     
  3. varchar thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2008
    #3
    Now trying to decide between 15" and 17" MBP. Leaning toward 15" for portability.
     
  4. xcitu macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2009
    #4
    Rather 15", spend the extra money to upgrade the 15" inch instead of buying a 17". 17" is also crap to carry around, imo.
     
  5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

    thegoldenmackid

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2006
    Location:
    dallas, texas
    #5
    Every part of this has been covered on numerous other threads. If you need a computer now, get it, the next update won't be for six months. The 15" vs 17" has to do with your situation. If you find the 17" portable, if you find the 15" large enough and what specs you need. Also if you feel that the matte screen is a must have. There are numerous threads with differing opinions, but all three of those things must be figured about by you.
     
  6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

    Scepticalscribe

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2008
    Location:
    The Far Horizon
    #6
    If you need it, buy it now; if you merely want it, wait for the next update to appear and then, wait further until it will have sorted out its inevitable teething problems, which should take several months. Seriously, the MBP is hardly likely to be updated in the near future, and if it is, so what? You can always sell and buy the newer model. If buying now, I'd also recommend that you buy Applecare, which will give you peace of mind and make your computer a lot more attractive to potential buyers, should you wish to sell it in the future.

    Re the 15" vs 17" dilemma, I'd suggest you get the 15" if portability is an issue; it is an excellent computer and has a very good screen. The 17" can be heavy enough to carry around.

    Cheers and good luck
     

Share This Page