MBP now or MB later?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by xfoxglove, Jun 10, 2008.

  1. xfoxglove macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2008
    #1
    my macbook is currently broken. sent it in to apple and found out there was water damage. (that's what you get for living with ****** uni chosen roommates.) they're giving me 100 dollars off a new machine because it came back in a really dirty and scratched condition. and i'm getting refunded for the applecare i purchased.

    anyway, i'm trying to decide which would be a better decision.

    either to get a current MBP now (with the ipod deal). it's a bit more than i need, but i don't want to buy another macbook (because i don't feel like buying what i already have.) plus it scratches way too easily.

    or to play the waiting game and hope the new MB has a redesigned case. (and maybe is still within the free ipod deal. that's asking for a lot, i would imagine.)


    any opinions?
     
  2. iViking macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2006
    #2
    I know what you mean about not wanting the exact same thing--but the Macbook really is great for college students, (I'm a grad student).

    Maybe you could get the Macbook in the other color.
     
  3. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

    rockthecasbah

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2005
    Location:
    Moorestown, NJ
    #3
    That's really just a game of rolling the dice. There is no guarantee that a MacBook case redesign in the works (the current MBP case has been in use since the PB G4's so it may be around for awhile :D). What seems to be the only definitive aspect about the coming MB revision would be the processor change to Montevina (most likely switch to LED backlit but who knows, that could evade this revision as well). Even when the MB would come is unknown, I find it unlikely that it comes before the back-to-school iPod deal is over.


    That being said, it seems for you the biggest factor would be need. I presume you wouldn't NEED the computer until after the summer, but since you said you were a university student would you need it before the fall semester begins? If that's the case, the next revision may not be released yet (mid-late Sept/Oct release?). Then of course there is price. The MBP, even if you sold the iPod to cover some of the costs, would still be significantly more than the MacBook. Advocates of the MBP will point to the increased screen size/resolution, dedicated graphics card, backlit keyboard, etc but that is something to take into account.


    Since you are reluctant to consider a second MacBook of the current generation I would do either of the following (assuming you need the MB before fall term starts):

    1. buy the MBP now - take advantage of the iPod deal (and printer deal too!)
    a. use it now, see if the size/portability is an issue
    b. use it until the new MacBooks are released and sell it if you want that instead.

    2. buy a used computer or something inexpensive to hold you over until the new MacBooks are released and resell if you want to buy the MB then.
     
  4. xfoxglove thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2008
    #4
    i guess i'm going to have to decide if waiting around until august is worth it or not.

    to be honest i wasn't even considering a MBP until a few days ago. i'd be getting the educational discount, which for the MBP is what, 200 dollars off, about? and then the 100 dollars off apple is giving me. my applecare warranty would also be refunded.

    do you think i could sell my broken macbook for parts at all? i'm not a computer whiz. i could never (or would never) take apart my machine, so i'd have to have someone else do that for me. but do you think it'd be possible to sell it all or to sell it for parts?

    would anybody even want it?
     
  5. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 25, 2008
    #5
    a few months ago i bought the 2.2 white macbook 120 HD.. one week after owning it a friends/friend spilt beer on it! ..right through the back air vents.. yep..

    So we sold it on ebay. Told them what was wrong. We got 600 dollars.

    not sure how well it will fair for you.. but it might be worth it.

    I bought another macbook white, since i love the thing
     
  6. MacLadybug macrumors 6502a

    MacLadybug

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2008
    #6
    I never have buyers remorse...

    But I get "Buyer's Envy"! As soon as you get anything a few months later Apple releases a faster, better, smarter, bigger version. It kills me. I replaced a MBP with a Black Macbook and then bumped the ram up to 4 GB. Love it. That is until some new sleek redesigned thing shows up (if it shows up) in the fall. My MBP ran hot and the battery was for crap. Check out all the forum posts on battery issues... tons of them. My MacBook is actually faster, bigger drive, lighter and feels more portable than the 15" MBP. Runs a lot cooler too. The dealbreaker for you may be the graphics card. I don't do any gaming or stuff with Aperture ... I don't miss it at all. I also have a clear speck case on my MB so I don't worry about scratches. So again, I'm not missing the MBP, but I know I'm going to be sick when the new stuff comes out... I always am.
     
  7. Westsider 4 Mac macrumors regular

    Westsider 4 Mac

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2007
    Location:
    On the West Side
    #7
    Always...

    ...get the most power that you can afford. In this case, go refurb MBP and then sell later on the MB/MBP refresh that should be coming in 2008-2009.:apple:
     
  8. MacLadybug macrumors 6502a

    MacLadybug

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2008
    #8
    I agree with that... Can't beat the MacBook as I said, but the MBP is truly a Rolls Royce. If you can afford it, why not.
     
  9. KHook321 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2008
    #9
    Can the MB handle HD video? I don't do any gaming or design, but I'd like the option to watch HD video if I want. I know the screen res is high enough, but wasn't sure if the integrated graphics would affect it.
     
  10. MacLadybug macrumors 6502a

    MacLadybug

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2008
    #10
    Movies play beautifully, although I don't own an HD movie to try out. That's what you mean right? I've been wanting to get my husband "Guitar Hero III" and I know it will work on our iMac, but there are some posts that say it works on the MacBook even though the graphics card is unsupported. But I haven't tried it out myself yet. Maybe someone out there has more experience with this.
     
  11. MacLadybug macrumors 6502a

    MacLadybug

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2008
    #11
    Matte or Glossy...

    There's the screen choice too. My MBP had a Matte screen and I loved that. I was a bit afraid of all the glare issues with the MB, but it hasn't been a problem at all. Given a choice I would still prefer the Matte but the Glossy is beautiful just the same.
     
  12. KHook321 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2008
    #12
    Thanks for replying. I'm mainly talking about downloaded 720p resolution video. I've never gotten it there, but I think even iTunes sells it now. Just wondering if the MB is strong enough to handle it. I would think so, but want to be sure.
     
  13. Phillyzero macrumors regular

    Phillyzero

    Joined:
    May 1, 2008
    #13
    Even if the macbook had a case redesign, it would be fairly risky to be the first revision of it as that's when there's likely the most bugs to be had. But I guess you may as well wait until Mid to Late July to at least get a Montevina update.
     
  14. Macsforcollege? macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 16, 2008
    #14

    exactly. thats how i feel. assuming it comes out in july, i will want to wait about 2 weeks since there might be bugs. but will apple announce this week that the macbooks will get Montevina in July? This way we know.
     
  15. illidian macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2008
    Location:
    Cincinnati, OH
    #15
    Apple does not typically do that. Their norm is "Hey, look, come buy these new MacBooks. Available now. Go get 'em."
     
  16. Macsforcollege? macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 16, 2008
    #16
    so pretty much when July 14th( i think its released) comes and if apple doesnt announce it then its not coming out until september?
     
  17. MacLadybug macrumors 6502a

    MacLadybug

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2008
    #17
    720p Hd

    Now I'm curious. I need to know if it will play on my MB. I went to the site for the new Indiana Jones Movie Trailers. The page said 720p HD and all that stuff. It requires Quicktime 7 to play. It played beautifully the medium file, the large file. Is that the same as what you are asking about? Would that be enough to show if it will work or not? If so, it does. If not do you know a site that would download a video file of the specs you need to know about?
     
  18. illidian macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2008
    Location:
    Cincinnati, OH
    #18
    No, it's much more complicated than that.

    What we've seen in the past, and I wouldn't be surprised to see again, is the MacBook Pro being updated about a month earlier than the MacBooks. From what I've read, Apple could very well announce the new MBP revision tomorrow - the hang-ups Intel is having have to do with the wireless card (which Apple does not use in their notebooks) and the new integrated graphics card (which Apple puts in the MB, but not the MBP).
     
  19. Westsider 4 Mac macrumors regular

    Westsider 4 Mac

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2007
    Location:
    On the West Side
    #19
    said it before...


    ... say it again. Get the most power you can afford.:D:apple:
     

Share This Page