MBP now or skylake?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sotorious, Sep 7, 2015.

1. sotorious macrumors 6502a

I know skylake will have a huge improvement on battery life, but will the processing power be that much more of a difference. I am looking to get another MBP since my 2014 one has been damaged.

I am really not in dire need of a laptop but i am wondering if its just a bump in battery life by a couple hours and not much differ in processing power.

2. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Dont expect several hour longer battery time.

3. MikhailT macrumors 601

Without knowing what else is changing in the laptop, there is no way of knowing what will change in terms of battery life. As for Skylake, do not expect any more than mere minutes of extra battery life. It will not be a big jump at all. The performance will not be a big jump but the latency and power efficiency might be better because of SpeedShift that Intel developed for Skylake but SpeedShift will require Apple to update OS X to use it and that's going to take a few years to implement depending on how extensive the changes are.

Also, why not fix your 2014 laptop as it is still 2015 or you didn't get AppleCare?

4. sotorious thread starter macrumors 6502a

That is exactly what i needed to know. The only thing that i will be missing out is thunderbolt 3.0 (which i dont even use thunderbolt)

5. Wreckus macrumors 6502a

Wreckus

If you miss out on anything, it will be USB-C. Other than that, I wouldn't bother waiting and just get one now.