MBP: Now or wait for 10.5?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gdesalvo@umail., Aug 27, 2007.

?

When Should I buy a MacBook Pro

Poll closed Sep 6, 2007.
  1. Buy Now

    18 vote(s)
    48.6%
  2. Wait for 10.5

    19 vote(s)
    51.4%
  1. gdesalvo@umail. macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 1, 2007
    #1
    Hello,
    I'm about to buy a MBP. No i do not want a macbook because the displays are glossy. My question is wether I should wait for the 10.5 release to see if apple bundles any upgrades to the hardware or wether I should just buy now.

    The MBP was recently upgraded in June but i could see apple putting some upgrades through it in late october early november with 10.5 and possibly some early penryns.

    Any ideas? Comments?
     
  2. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

    mr_matalino

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2005
    #2
    I serisouly doubt Apple will refresh their MBP this year. If you need now, buy now. If you can wait, wait.
     
  3. sammyman macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2005
    #3
    take advantage of the free ipod now (if you are a student, or know a student). :)
     
  4. mac000 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2005
  5. gdesalvo@umail. thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 1, 2007
    #5
    I am a student, and have an iPhone, i guess i could buy a nano and resell it on ebay to make back 200$.
     
  6. Big D Skins macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2007
    Location:
    Indiana
    #6
    Buy it now

    I purchased my MBP the day it was released and it is the best computer by far that I have ever owned. For a laptop or desktop it far surpasses most of the computers on the market today IMO. Most of my friends with ultra high end desktop computers have said that they wish they would have just purchased a MBP instead. It has more then enough power to run most all of the adobe CS3 software and most anything else you would want to. (Gaming is probably not the best but I use a computer for actual work most of the time.)

    I would say that if you need something for a computer now. Do not have any regrets purchasing this fine machine! I for one am not getting all worked up over leopard. Don't get me wrong I think leopard is going to be an extraordinary operating system but Tiger is an amazing operating system now. Not to mention that most all the bugs are already worked out of it. I am going to wait for 10.5.1 at least probably more towards 10.5.2 or 3. I would just wait a little while on the operating system.

    My personal advice is start enjoying the MBP NOW!!!:):D:):D
     
  7. gdesalvo@umail. thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 1, 2007
    #7
    Very true, the better question is when do you see apple releasing a MBP upgrade as well as will apple ever release some ultra-portable without a glossy screen. I cannot stand having a half mirror in front of my eyes it drives me insane.
     
  8. gdesalvo@umail. thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 1, 2007
    #8
    At this point i'm waiting til september 5th to see what goodies apple releases.
     
  9. sblasl macrumors 6502a

    sblasl

    Joined:
    Apr 25, 2004
    Location:
    Heber Springs, AR
    #9
    Realistically, the MBP might see some silent updates, probably already has due to the extensive problems with the new displays. As it relates to overall hardware updates, most likely in the spring of '08.

     
  10. Mistershark macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2007
    #10
    Go ahead and buy now. You can put that extra $200 towards Leopard and you even out with an extra $70.
     
  11. tutubibi macrumors 6502a

    tutubibi

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2003
    Location:
    localhost
    #11
    Not sure about HW updates but why not save $200?
    Since Leopard is coming out in max 9 week from now, I would wait for it, unless you absolutely need it now. Or at least wait for the release date announcement and you should be able to get Leopard update for free (well almost free).
     
  12. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

    Cybergypsy

    Joined:
    May 16, 2006
    Location:
    Central Florida!
  13. vicious7 macrumors 6502a

    vicious7

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2007
    Location:
    Jacked into the net...
    #13
    This is very true. The choice is yours.
     
  14. amac4me macrumors 65816

    amac4me

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2005
    #14
    Here's a history of the MacBook Pro:
    • Initial release: January 2006 - Core Duo
    • First Revision: October 2006 - Core 2 Duo
    • Second Revision: June 2007 - Core 2 Duo (Santa Rosa)

    Over the past couple of years Apple has revamped the entire Macintosh line in the few months prior to the holiday shopping season. This year seems to be somewhat of an anomoly as the MacBook Pro, iMac, and Mac mini have been refreshed prior to the September/October time frame.

    In my view, I think there's a slight chance that Apple may release a MacBook Pro update prior to the holiday buying season. I think there's a fairly good chance that Apple will update the MacBook line before the holidays because it was last updated in May.

    Keep in mind that portables now outsell desktops and Apple may want to ensure that potential buyers view the MacBook and MacBook Pro as recently updated as they set out to do thier holiday shopping. It really wouldn't make much sense to just update the MacBook before the holidays.

    Just my view!!!
     

Share This Page