MBP nTB 2016 can't always turn off properly

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by no1usethisname, Mar 17, 2017.

1. no1usethisname macrumors newbie

no1usethisname

Hi,

I noticed that sometimes when I press the power button, instead of having the "Shut Down" window popped up on the screen, the machine would simply shut down, and when it is switched on again I would get a message saying it was not shut down properly.

Also occasionally the machine wouldn't switch on when the lid is opened.

Is there a reason why this is happening? Thank you!

2. athand macrumors member

I've noticed that on two 2016 13's I own. Definitely a software bug.
    Report it to Apple!

3. Hieveryone macrumors 68030

I used to have a 2016 ntMBP. I had to return it because the screen started flickering during youtube videos. I want to get a new one but people are saying it's not worth the cost.

I think apple should do something to fix these things. They got a bunch of resources. They can do better.

Now I don't have a 2016 MBP, I'm using my late 2013.

:(

4. Coco Nuts macrumors newbie

Coco Nuts

Click on the apple at the top left of the screen, and press shut down. This will shut it down properly.

5. thesaint024 macrumors 6502a

thesaint024

One of us is confused about how the power button works (could be me). I thought the power button simply puts it in sleep mode. That would explain why it appears to shut down instantly, when it's actually going into sleep, similar to shutting the lid. Also, opening the lid is supposed to wake your computer if it was in sleep, or power it on if it was off. That is by design. I believe you can change the behavior of the buttons and lid somewhere in settings. Also to echo @Coco Nuts, the shut down from menu is the only way to actually power down as far as I knew. None of this helps the "not shut down properly" message you're getting, but it should explain everything else. I'm probably missing some detail that I'm sure someone will correct me on!

6. no1usethisname thread starter macrumors newbie

no1usethisname

I am aware of the option to shut down the computer from the top right menu. However, pressing down the power button by 3 seconds should bring out the shut down menu, continue pressing it, however, will indeed force it to shut down. At least that has been the case for me. So what happened occasionally was the shut down window would not pop up and the computer was directly forced to shut down.

what also happened to me was, when the computer is powered off (not in sleep), then, maybe the next day, I open the lid, but the computer does not automatically switches on.

I have not found any options to change the behaviour of the buttons and lid. Any one?

7. Sanpete macrumors 68020

"Unlike with older Mac notebooks, holding down Touch ID on your 2016 MacBook Pro doesn't display a dialog with options to Sleep, Restart, or Shut Down. You can find these options in the Apple menu."

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207054

8. no1usethisname thread starter macrumors newbie

no1usethisname

9. athand macrumors member

It applies on touch bar MBP only, ntMBP power button display the dialog if pressed for 1.5sec or shuts down after being pressed for 5sec.

10. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Oops! Maybe your machine has touch bar envy.

What does Apple support say?