Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robert-a-hudson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2006
Britain
Not a huge issue, I'm not sure it should happen, especially since I have never heard of this issue before, on any forums (or dare I say, the internet according to google). So 'The issue?' I hear you friendly-suggestion-filled-people cry!

Well, the green led for the num lock key acts bizzarly. When the computer is doing nothing, the screen dims after 1 minute. Then, about 10 seconds after dimming (by about I mean consistantly, within 10 +/- 2 seconds of the screen dimming), the num lock led starts to flicker, extremely quickley, and is just about on. This only happens when when the num lock led is originally off. It happens whilst on mains power only, not on battery power.

Anybody else have this issue, or have a solution?

I\m not sure whether I do have an 'issue' with my num lock button, because it does seem insanley bright when i have turned numlock on - its like having the option of a green back lit keyboard when i'm in a dark room :D

Pictures*:
dsc000565cu.jpg

Above: is a picture of the flickering (obviously its not flickering, but it gives you an idea of the level of light emitted by the led)
Below: A picture of my numlock light when I actually turn it on properly, it doesnt look that insanely bright there, but the lighting in my room is quite high, so it doesnt look quite like the previously mentioned green-back-lit-keyboard in the photo, but it is pretty bright!
dsc000570mq.jpg

*Images hosted using imageshack, I have no idea whether this is an allowed way for the forum, or if there is a prefered way.

alexprice

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2005
robert-a-hudson said:
Not a huge issue, I'm not sure it should happen, especially since I have never heard of this issue before, on any forums (or dare I say, the internet according to google). So 'The issue?' I hear you friendly-suggestion-filled-people cry!

Well, the green led for the num lock key acts bizzarly. When the computer is doing nothing, the screen dims after 1 minute. Then, about 10 seconds after dimming (by about I mean consistantly, within 10 +/- 2 seconds of the screen dimming), the num lock led starts to flicker, extremely quickley, and is just about on. This only happens when when the num lock led is originally off. It happens whilst on mains power only, not on battery power.

Anybody else have this issue, or have a solution?

I\m not sure whether I do have an 'issue' with my num lock button, because it does seem insanley bright when i have turned numlock on - its like having the option of a green back lit keyboard when i'm in a dark room :D

Pictures*:
dsc000565cu.jpg

Above: is a picture of the flickering (obviously its not flickering, but it gives you an idea of the level of light emitted by the led)
Below: A picture of my numlock light when I actually turn it on properly, it doesnt look that insanely bright there, but the lighting in my room is quite high, so it doesnt look quite like the previously mentioned green-back-lit-keyboard in the photo, but it is pretty bright!
dsc000570mq.jpg

*Images hosted using imageshack, I have no idea whether this is an allowed way for the forum, or if there is a prefered way.

I haven't seen this before, I will check our showroom model tommorow. Maybe you could reset the PRAM in the meantime.

Alt-Apple-P-R as you hear the chime, keep these held down till you hear the chime again and release. Then re-check the LED issue.

Alex

robert-a-hudson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2006
Britain
PMU has just been reset, still flashing away tho!

But...it seems to now take about 15 seconds...rather than about 10 (nb about still has the definition above :))

Any more ideas people?

robert-a-hudson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2006
Britain
Update:

The flickering stops when i ever-so slightly touch the track-pad, as in literally, practically touch it, so little contact that the screen still stays dimmed.

Is this a ring apple issue?

It's only a week old.

Would it make any difference if i was to report the issue now and send it in for repair (assuming they offer that); or if i report it at the start of june (i have exams until 31st of june, and i need the laptop for at-least another week before i can survive through exams)? I only have the 1-year applecare at the moment, so would it effect that, as in, do you get 'unlimited repairs' for the full year, or would this be my only free one?

Sorry, I have no idea about this mac-world, being a switcher, I'm just slightly concerned at this point!

Malcster

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2005
Bristol, UK
If you haven't called Apple yet then do so. They'll run through some tests with you but im guessing it'll have to go back in for repair.

You can schedule the repair for a time thats good for you, if its like the UK then they'll send you a box to put it in then you can arrange a pickup time thats good for you, allow atleast a week for repair. Or try and get a new one out of them.

Live with it if you want but if you have a dodgy component, it might fail when you need it most!

edit. sorry just noticed your location after posting :)

majorp

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2005
UK !!!
i had exactly the same issue with my previous mbp! this was one of the reasons i stated when i sent it back. i thought it was just me! however my new one does not have this problem so this is not normal. return it for a replacement if it is within the 14 days.

edit: if you ask them to send the replacement first then collect your laptop they will do this for you as you live in the uk! good old english law..

robert-a-hudson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2006
Britain
majorp said:
i had exactly the same issue with my previous mbp! this was one of the reasons i stated when i sent it back. i thought it was just me! however my new one does not have this problem so this is not normal. return it for a replacement if it is within the 14 days.

edit: if you ask them to send the replacement first then collect your laptop they will do this for you as you live in the uk! good old english law..

Quality!

Thats good to know :)

dantams

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2006
Hi Robert

My MBP has exactly the same issue. I'm not sure if it's worth sending it for repair just because of that though.

Let me know if Apple accepted the return.

- Daniel

robert-a-hudson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2006
Britain
dantams said:
Hi Robert

My MBP has exactly the same issue. I'm not sure if it's worth sending it for repair just because of that though.

Let me know if Apple accepted the return.

- Daniel

Check PM,

In short, refund is in progress.

thefunkymunky

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
London
Hi,

I have the same problem on my replacement Week 14 MBP. I had a Week 7 before this and it didnt have this problem :confused: It only flickers under OSX and not XP.

Turns out too that after enabling and disabling num lock the flickering disappears but after a few minutes it comes back by itself even without touching anything.

robert-a-hudson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2006
Britain
So,

I've just received a new MBP 2.16 with 1GB RAM 7200RPM drive, and low and behold, I have the same flickering numlock led that I did with my previous machine.

Now.

Can other MBP Owners check to see if they have this issue, or am I just "unlucky" in receiving 2 laptops which both happen to have the same issue?!?
Thanks

Robert

majorp

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2005
UK !!!
robert-a-hudson said:
So,

I've just received a new MBP 2.16 with 1GB RAM 7200RPM drive, and low and behold, I have the same flickering numlock led that I did with my previous machine.

Now.

Can other MBP Owners check to see if they have this issue, or am I just "unlucky" in receiving 2 laptops which both happen to have the same issue?!?
Thanks

Robert

that mbp i spoke about above DID end up having the issue and i returned it for a replacement and sure enough so does this one :mad: so thats three i have had all with the issue. i guess its just normal. im just living with it. i think a lot of people just don't notice it.

the rock

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2006
robert-a-hudson said:

I have the same issue on my MBP 2.0, and really don't see what the problem is. I can't believe you actually sent your fully working MBP back because of this "problem".

There was a thread about this issue on MacNN forums as well, so its a widespread issue, and probably normal behavior.

However, it would be interesting to know what it is...

BTW, long time reader, first post.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
the rock said:
There was a thread about this issue on MacNN forums as well, so its a widespread issue, and probably normal behavior.
It's probably more accurate to say "It's probably something you'll have to deal with for now"--it's obviously not "normal", since Apple wouldn't design this in intentionally and not every 'Book does it.

Quite possible if it doesn't happen under XP that it is a software/firmware problem of some sort, and will be fixed with a firmware update or such eventually.

My 17" doesn't do it, for what it's worth.

robert-a-hudson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2006
Britain
the rock said:
I have the same issue on my MBP 2.0, and really don't see what the problem is. I can't believe you actually sent your fully working MBP back because of this "problem".

However, it would be interesting to know what it is...

BTW, long time reader, first post.

To be honest, I previously used it as a reason to return and get a refund because, apple released a free 3 year warenty for UK HE products about 4 days after mine arrived. I figured it would be worth a try, but ever since I have noticed it, it does bug me, esp. when watching dvd's!

Oh well. I have the 3 years warrenty now (appart from the provided applecare cd wont work (ringing AC tomorrow!)). So it seems to have been worth it, if a little annoying...

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
robert-a-hudson said:
Oh well. I have the 3 years warrenty now (appart from the provided applecare cd wont work (ringing AC tomorrow!)). So it seems to have been worth it, if a little annoying...
Calling AppleCare to complain about the CD isn't likely to do you any good, since as far as I know the "default" AppleCare CD is still PPC native, an as such totally useless on Intel Macs. Kind of silly, but that's what it is.

Being that they just released a Universal version of the commercial Pro version of TechTool, and the AppleCare download site has sort of a placeholder for an Intel troubleshooting tool, I'd guess it won't be too long before they'll remedy this. But not yet.

thefunkymunky

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
London
As I have said above. I have this problem on my Week 14 MBP. It wasnt present on my Week 7. Is it only the later models that have this problem?

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
This is totally random, but I believe I officially read too much Macrumors now. I had a DREAM last night that my MBP started doing this, even though it doesn't.

That's got to be a bad sign...

jdtanner

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2006
Well mine does this as well. It is a 2.16GHz with a 7200RPM HDD and 1GB of RAM. Luckily (!) it has developed several other faults...

1. Escape key has gone wonky
2. It kicks out so much heat under CPU load that you can't put your hands on the keyboard
3. The case above the power adaptor has buckled (heat?)
4. The metal surround to the LCD has buckled so the case doesn't close properly (heat?)
5. The LCD has developed dark bottom corners
6. The bottom of the LCD now shows a white bar (dislodged backlight?)

Anyway, I've had it for 3 weeks and these faults have developed in the past week or so. I went to the Apple Sheffield store and they said that I'd need about 80% of the computer repairing! I wasn't very happy to say the least that my new computer would need to be repaired to such an extent. After calling Apple customer services, a replacement is being dispatched. Sorry to rant...

John

mmn

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2006
Count me in, my MBP 15", 100GB HD shows the same behaviour. Up to now, the logic board had to be replaced once.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
Wow!

I'm shocked. I really am...

Looks like they're still kicking a few bugs in the firmware of the MacBook Pro's. :rolleyes:

But, I'm really sorry to hear all of you with this problem.

It would annoy me silly. :eek:

dhc

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
UK
Coincidentally, I just noticed this behaviour on my refurb 1.8ghz MBP this morning...:(

Unless it is symptomatic of a bigger problem (anyone?), I think i'll just live with it though, I have to be looking for it to see it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.