MBP nvida failure??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Icarus73, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Icarus73 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I took my MBP to the genius bar due to the nvida failure symptoms showing up. I was told that since it didn't make the "startup chime" after a pram reset, it was a logic board failure unrelated to the nvida issue, so they couldn't replace it for free. My question is, I had the audio output on the computer set to a USB port for some audio recordin I was doing. Would a pram reset change or not change that audio output setting? If it wouldn't change that setting, the MBP could very well be "chiming" and it would be the nvida issue.

Thanks

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

The MBP will chime even with speakers plugged in, provided that the internal MBP speakers weren't set to "mute" when it was shut down. I believe a PRAM reset also resets audio volume(or maybe it's the SMC, don't quote me on that either way).

If they can't get it to boot up to run the nVidia test(and fail it), then they won't replace anything for free, because they can't test it. You're most likely SOL.

3. Icarus73 thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I figured. I ordered a refurb iMac to replace it, but this crossed my mind so I thought I'd ask.

4. Sarmiento macrumors member

I'm having similar issues and I'm taking my 2008 MacBook Pro tomorrow. Did you perform a Apple Hardware Test?

My doesn't chime either but the Hardware Test is reporting a Video Controller problem every time now.

:(

5. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

My friend also had the same issue with the GPU, but Apple claimed it was the Logic Board. Seems like they're trying to avoid having to replace the machine.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You can do two things, search the internet for similar issues stating that it is in fact the GPU and secondly you could argue that the GPU is on the logic board and so a failure of that component could affect the logic board

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

Seeing as the GPU is soldered onto the logicboard, one has to replace said board to replace the GPU.

No company in their right mind would replace a 3+ year old machine with a brand new, more powerful one. That's bad business.

8. wpotere Guest

I have an older MB but it will not chime if the system was muted before the reboot or boot. Is it possible that you muted it?

9. Sarmiento macrumors member

Your right it was muted but lets see how it goes tomorrow.

I know it sound weird that someone would replace the logic board and GPU for free but it's not Apple who is paying for the repairs. NVIDIA gets the bill and they are supposed to be honoring this replacement for 4 years from the time of purchase.

It's the NVIDIA GeForce 8600N GT and I have about 11 months of warranty left.

10. Sarmiento macrumors member

Apple confirmed my video card is bad but it is not the specific issue with the NVIDIA recall. I would have to replace the logic board and video card at my cost unless it were to develop into the specific issue and the NVIDIA test would fail.

:(

Told to bring it back if it gets distorted video or no video at all and they can test it again.