MBP nVidia

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lego8, Jul 16, 2008.

1. lego8 macrumors regular

lego8

Hi,

I don't know much about this nVidia problem. But I do know that some of the problem is that the fans don't cool the GPU if you put the computer to sleep quickly after using a graphics-intensive program.

So, my question is, is there a program or Apple update that just keeps the fans on after the laptop goes to sleep?

2. ivnds macrumors 6502

ivnds

No app that I know of, that would sorta defeat the purpose of sleep, and kill the fans along the way.

The best thing you can do is leave your computer to sleep until the heat dissipates. you're putting it to sleep because it'll be left alone anyways.

3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

It doesn't matter if you put the computer to sleep after using a graphics-intense program. No new heat is being generated, so the GPU will just cool down normally.

4. Eric. macrumors regular

I think the point is that it needs to cool gradually. Dropping from peak temperature (graphic intensive app) to idle/sleep/off is apparently the problem since the card goes from its most expanded state to the most contracted. Different materials expand and contract at different rates, and that probably causes the physical stress on the chip. So if this is really the problem that people are assuming, it would be best to keep the GPU active and slowly bring it back to idle after GPU intensive programs. Maybe watch a video or something?

5. kingshrubb macrumors regular

kingshrubb

6. InLikeALion macrumors 6502a

No. You don't want to super cool it. The wide difference in temperature in a short amount of time is the problem. If anything, you'd want a laptop "warmer" to keep it from cooling down too quickly.

Eric.'s reasoning is along the right lines, though I don't know if watching a video would help it stay a bit warm, or keep it in the "high" temperature range.

7. kingshrubb macrumors regular

kingshrubb

But if you kept the laptop cooler on while your playing games so it doesn't heat up, then you have no need to cool it down?

8. InLikeALion macrumors 6502a

Hmm, makes sense. I hadn't realized that's what you meant.

9. klagermkii macrumors member

I don't know how you're going to get the laptop cooler though? When I start games on my MBP it's only about 3-5 minutes before the fans are going at full tilt anyway. I think the design of the MBP, combined with the amount of heat this GPU pumps out, is going to make it very difficult to avoid getting it to hit "max temperature" even if you were to keep it in the freezer while you were playing a game. The only thing would be to slow down the rate of temperature change like Eric. said.

10. ivnds macrumors 6502

ivnds

I always thought the MBP had good cooling because the heat was absorbed by the aluminum case and it spread through the machine, instead of getting stuck in there in a plastic case, witch is not such a good heat conductor.

11. Eric. macrumors regular

That's true, but the card in general runs hotter than other dedicated ones apparently.

I don't think any sort of cooling methods are going to affect it much. The safest bet would be to turn up fans while doing graphics work and then turn them down when you finish. Doing so would keep the chip as cool as possible while stressed and then allow it to cool more slowly. Just my $0.10 (inflation and all...).

12. klagermkii macrumors member

I don't think the overall heat dissipation of the MBP is that bad, but the big challenge still lies in getting the heat away from that small area that is the top and bottom of the GPU. Even if it's able to leave the case quickly, the heat still doesn't get spread around from the top of the CPU/GPU that fast. You can see that if you load up something like iStat Pro, and look at the huge difference in temperatures across the various sensors on the heat generating parts.

13. schmidt190 macrumors member

hahahaha

14. lego8 thread starter macrumors regular

lego8

Is there a program to manually adjust the fan speed?

15. bertpalmer macrumors 6502

SMC Fan Control is a great free app for this.

16. lordthistle macrumors 6502

It could be a nice idea to develop an application preventing the computer from sleeping when something inside is very hot.

High-end PC power transformers/supplies (I do not know the exact name), have this function: when the temp is high they keep the fans on for a few minutes.

- thistle

17. lego8 thread starter macrumors regular

lego8

Is it detrimental in any way to the computer if I keep the fans at a high speed (4k - 6k) all the time?

18. lordthistle macrumors 6502

No one knows. It might be since normal fan speed is around 2000rpm and they do not kick in as often as many of us would like.
    thistle

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Apart from the computer being loud and annoying (and probably wears out the bearings), I would say NO.

20. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I'm going to keep my mbp at stock 2000rpm on both fan so that if it breaks down anytime within the 3 year i'd know that my gpu is defective.

Instead of cranking up the fans to 4000-6000 to prolong the card from failing.