MBP odd power failure. Logic board about to fail? (macbook pro 2.2)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by looking4anotebo, Apr 5, 2009.

1. looking4anotebo macrumors 6502

Something very strange just happened to my 18-month-old macbook pro. It was asleep and I went to move it, so I disconnected the usb mouse, speakers, and power connection, and as I lifted the computer off the desk, it immediately turned off. I hit the power button, nothing. I plugged it back in, hit the power button and it started to come on but died less than a second in. I tried a few more times, and got similar results. It would start to power on but just crap out.

Not having any other ideas, I disconnected the battery and put it back in, hit the power button, and the computer booted.

Can anyone tell me what just happened?

2. metroid87706 macrumors regular

metroid87706

Had the same issue on the same MacBook. Needed a new battery.
    Could you post a screenshot or the info of what CoconutBattery tells you?

3. looking4anotebo thread starter macrumors 6502

This is from istat pro. The battery health seems to fluctuate from 78-91.

Attached Files:

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

You might want to calibrate your battery for a more accurate reading. 80% health and less than 50 cycles is not right.

5. looking4anotebo thread starter macrumors 6502

I haven't calibrated in a couple weeks, but I do calibrate it on a regular basis. When it's calibrated, it is usually at 90-91% health.

6. metroid87706 macrumors regular

metroid87706

If it ever drops to below 85%, take it to Apple. They'll swap it for free.

7. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I had a friend whose g5 imac displayed similar minor problems. He powered it off a couple of times, unplugged it, and then it quit working alltogether 2 weeks later...10 days after the applecare expired. It was diagnosed as a dead logic board.:eek:

If you've got applecare on it, I would take it to a genius and have it checked out. I'd then ask for the number they use to track the transaction and keep it written down somewhere just in case. If my friend had done the same, he might have been able to use the incident number as a basis for claiming the logic board started to malfunction within the warranty period.

If you don't have applecare on it, what were you thinking?

8. looking4anotebo thread starter macrumors 6502

It is under warranty(not applecare) so getting it repaired is not a huge issue. I am just wondering if this is a battery problem or a logic board problem.

9. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Likely battery. You would notice/experience other problems (more serious) if it was a logic board failing.