MBP off eBay doesn't appear new

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cagle, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Cagle macrumors regular

I just bought a 'brand new, opened' MBP off eBay but I suspect it isn't as new as I expected, so I thought id run it past forum members as you've probably bought new mbps from apple before and know what doesn't sound right

first is the box isn't sealed, its in a lose fitting clear plastic cover. i seem to recall apple products being shrink-wrapped tightly around the box

i notice a second layer of seal tape by the box's plastic handle, under the one I have to cut through to open the box

the front of the laptop has light marks under intense light - like very faint mud or dirt from a dirty set of hands

the side has a black mark, like aluminum has been worn off. i daren't clean it more thoroughly in case it wipes clear and i'm left with no evidence. i did have a thought that it might be off the black plastic housing that the box contains the mbp in, acquired through a bumpy journey?

lastly, the aforementioned black plastic housing of the box has a half inch gap between it and the sides, meaning it moves about in the box. weird.

well he doesn't accept returns so i'm gonna have to open a case, but i thought id get some advice (reassurance) that backs up what i'm thinking. I'm starting to hate eBay….

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

File a complaint with ebay and paypal explaining your problem. They typically give the benefit of doubt to the buyer.

3. grahamcracker macrumors newbie

grahamcracker

you bought a "new" opened item off ebay from a seller that offers no returns. What did you expect?

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Does it work okay? Any issues other than cosmetic or packaging?

5. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

yeah you should have seen that coming.

6. Cagle, Dec 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2010

Cagle thread starter macrumors regular

I turned it on but didn't go any further than the 'choose your language' screen.

I guess I assumed he was fine going by his feedback

7. deeesea macrumors 6502

+1

also, OP since it doesn't seem to be working past the choose your language screen you might have a dead item, either way you'd be able to get your money back, so that's all good. Count it as a lesson learned and next time don't order from a seller that offers no returns.

8. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Don't blame the OP, most people buy based on feedback on ebay anyway. He's just asking for some help. Like stated above, I would just file a complaint, and see where it goes from there.

9. farmermac macrumors 6502a

Go on through to the os

Install coconut battery

It will tell you how many cycles the battery has on it

10. grahamcracker macrumors newbie

grahamcracker

Someone probably handled it a little bit but if it looks like it'll clean up i'd just take it, especially if the seller has good feedback. It's more of a hassle than anything else going through "disputes" as they cost money for shipping and just take a long frickin time.

11. grahamcracker macrumors newbie

grahamcracker

That's what i was thinking too but if they had it plugged in you couldn't tell. But if it really did get used it probably went through a few cycles.

12. deeesea macrumors 6502

not blaming the OP, everyone makes mistakes, and if he ordered a laptop from ebay that's been handled and doesn't power and the seller doesn't accept returns sounds like a mistake, again, take it as a lesson learned, and next time it won't happen, wasn't his fault, perhaps op misread something or didn't see some of the fine print, it happens to everyone nbd :cool:

13. Built macrumors 68020

Trying to recall...just bought a MBP 13 a few weeks ago from Best Buy.

I don't recall any shrink-wrapping...Just the seal...

I'm not at home now but, if I recall correctly, the plastic "inset" in the box that cradles the MBP is white...I'm 3000 miles away from the box right now so I can't verify...

I understand why sellers have "no return" policies, but frequently, for more expensive items, this can open up the buyer to major headaches.

Let us now this progresses...Did you ever get past the language screen?

14. deeddawg macrumors 604

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

If it's working fine and cleans up okay, what would be your goal in a dispute? I'm confused about you concern of rubbing the aluminum off. Shouldn't the side be solid aluminum on a MacBook Pro??

I'm thinking I'd just chalk it up to experience and move on.

15. jlluna macrumors 6502

I would contact the eBay member who sold you the laptop. And voice your problems with the laptop to him, and see how it goes, if he does not help you out then file a claim, If he stated it was new, then it should be in new condition.

16. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Enter your serial number here (https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do) and see what date the item was purchased.

17. Liqwid macrumors newbie

So true.

18. Built macrumors 68020

Guaranteed that, if contacted, the seller will be defensive and say "tough luck...it was new."

19. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

it kind of is the Op's fault mainly because when you buy something off of ebay you're supposed to check the feedback; if the feedback is good* but hes selling a "New" item with no returns then you have to double check the feedback, for example if the feedback is for a 10$ mousepad then ignore that. only look at the higher end sales.

* feedback is only "good" if its for an item thats fairly worth something, not some ****** product.

20. vant macrumors 65816

21. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Just for future reference, if the box doesn't look new, take a picture :p

22. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

My MacBook Pro bought first day (first one in the store) in the morning had a double sealed box. It wasn't shrink wrapped either. Mine has some light marks on it as well. I just wiped it and assumed everything was normal.

23. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I don't get what your problem is.
    You bought a "brand new, opened" MBP. That implies that the guy you bought it from has opened the box and looked at the MBP maybe even started it up to check if its running.
    You act like you expected some unopened product.
    Anyway as long as it doesn't have any issues what do you complain about. If there are no scratches, no wear no anything and it works as it should then what is the problem.

24. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

oh snap totally didn't notice the op saying it said "brand new, opened"

op you cant file any issues relating to how new the product was from your description unless somethings broken.

25. croooow macrumors 65816

croooow

It sounds like the description may be a little misleading but not false. I would want to see the item myself to be sure but here is my take:

• It was "brand new" and "opened" Some would not accept an opened item as brand new, even if the box was just opened and not even removed from the package.
    • I believe the "choose your language" screen is part of the initial setup of the Mac. That makes me think the seller did not actually use it, so some would consider it brand new even though it's been opened.

The only thing that raises a red flag to me is the black mark, but if you think the will come off easily then it may not be a big deal. If it's in working, unused condition and you got a good deal on it then I wouldn't worry about a mark that will come off. Any damage that will not come off would be a problem (since this was sold as "New" I would want it to look and act new)