MBP - "Old" vs WWDC Release

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by keerf, Jun 10, 2009.

1. keerf macrumors member

Hi All,

I have what is going to sound like a dumb question, but I figured I might as well ask.

Friday May 29th, I bought a brand new macbook pro 17", my first mac ever. I love it :) Then WWDC came monday, and they introduced the "new" macbook pro 17. I called up the Apple store, and was told I could bring mine in and have it exchanged for the new one, and technically I might even get a refund. So I decided to do it.

Long story short, I went to two different apple stores today (a combined total of 3 hours on the road) after being lied to saying they had the new 17" laptops in stock. I opted instead to get a refund of the difference of the new laptop and the old one, and keep my original laptop.

On my long drive home, I kept weighing my choice in my head. I basically just got back 535 bucks, but now I miss out on the new battery. The only reason I say miss out on the new battery is because part of me knows that processor jump isn't that great, in fact it is barely a jump at all.

I guess what I'm trying to say in this long winded post is, should I have gone for the new laptop? Or is my gut feeling right and I won't notice any difference.

Thanks all for reading!

2. Poirot818 macrumors regular

...Your 17" MBP already has the "new" battery.

3. tsa1 macrumors regular

truth

4. keerf thread starter macrumors member

hmm, well color me stupid. I didn't even notice that.

So I guess the only upgrade would of been the processor speed, which if I'm not mistaken isn't going to gain me anything since it is only 140mhz.

5. rcmeche macrumors newbie

If you got your money refund and aren't worried about the processor, then you got what you wanted. Battery and all.

6. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

If I were him, I would take that $530 and pay the Genius' a large tip for listening to him talk about wanting the new battery :p

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yeah, you basically got away with highway robbery. I'd consider myself very fortunate!