MBP on 52" HDTV

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by YdLeet, Sep 2, 2011.

1. YdLeet macrumors newbie

Hey,

So I'm thinking of investing in the latest MBP 13". I just wanted to know if I would be able to watch 1080p video files on my 52" plasma by connecting the MBP to it via HDMI, with the video running perfectly of course.

Or am I pushing it too far? :eek:

Thanks a lot in advance! :)

2. kfergiez macrumors 6502

kfergiez

Should work fine. 1080p is just a standard TV resolution. Most computers can display higher resolutions than that.

You are going to need a mini-DVI to HDMI adapter, that will give you both video and audio. Most TV's have a VGA input, in which case you could get a mini-DVI to VGA adapter, and you'll get a better picture, but no audio through a VGA cable.

3. YdLeet thread starter macrumors newbie

Great! I will be using the adapter.

Well the primary purpose will be to watch 1080p movies on the HDTV so any higher than 1080p won't be needed. :)

4. akasch macrumors regular

It'll work fine. I use a hdmi adapter to hook mine up to a 55 in plasma

5. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

If it's a newer MacBook, it has mini display port, not dvi. And if it's mid-2010 or newer, it does audio through the mini display port too.

Get a mini display port to HDMI adapter; there's one from monoprice for like $7 that does audio, and get a HDMI cable from there as well for like $5.

And VGA doesn't have a higher picture quality than HDMI, HDMI is digital, VGA is analog.

I use my mid-2010 13" to play 1080p BluRay .mkv's on a 51" and 50" plasma, and smaller LED LCD's as well. Works great.

adapter http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=5311&seq=1&format=2

HDMI cable http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10240&cs_id=1024008&p_id=4029&seq=1&format=2

6. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

A lot of people use lesser powered Mac mini as their HTPC playing 1080p movies so you'll be fine.

Macbook Pro's are designed to be able to power the Apple Cinema Display, which has far higher resolution - so again, you'll be fine. :)

7. hathorlive macrumors newbie

I just hooked my MBP to my 49 inch HDTV. I get a picture and sound, however the picture resolution is horrible. What is the optimal settings in the MBP to use for the best picture?

I don't have the 1920 X 1080 setting that was recommended in my research. I'm a newb in this area and would appreciate any advice.

8. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

If it's a 1080p TV, select 1080p with refresh rate at 60Hz. I wouldn't expect it to look like a monitor though.

9. hathorlive macrumors newbie

That did the trick. Thanks for the info. Is there anyway to turn the MBP off while I watch on the HDTV? I don't have a remote.

10. sawihsiwi macrumors newbie

Audio lagging with HD

I just hooked my mac pro (mid 2010) to my 58" plasma via Griffin mini display to hdmi converter. I tried to watch an mkv file but the problem is that even though the picture is great, the audio becomes mute every so often. I am using VLC 1.1.11 on Snow Leopard. Any ideas for a fix?