MBP on a train?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ronmaverick88, Aug 6, 2008.

1. ronmaverick88 macrumors member

I have a trip coming up but I'm not sure how cramped trains are I've never been on one before. Will the MBP be too wide or anything? My friends say it is pretty crowded but I'm not sure how crowded relative to my MBP. We're going coach (last minute trip) so I'm not sure if the Amtrak has outlets. About how long should the MBP last if I just watch DVDs with the wireless stuff off?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Depends what line you ride; if it's coach there are only a few outlets; if you ride Acela or business all seats have 2 power outlets.

Maybe 3 hours with brightness low? I'd rip the movie onto the HDD. You do own the DVD right?

And 15" fits well; 17" is okay, but I pay the extra $25 for business cause I ride for 10+ hours at a time.

3. ronmaverick88 thread starter macrumors member

Yes I own them (Battlestar Galactica) what programs would you suggest to rip them with? I never looked this up because I did not understand how much was legal and all but I down own them. Also would you expect enough room in coach with the mac? The train was really booked so I dont think I can switch now.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The legality is a thin line, but if you own it, I think it'll be fine. You just making a backup ;)

When's this trip? If it's in say a week, I'd rip all the discs with MacTheRipper, then run Handbrake and convert them into h.264

Don't worry about switching to any other class; just get there early and you'll get an outlet.

5. ronmaverick88 thread starter macrumors member

6. ctshu2002 macrumors newbie

I brought mu MBP 17 in with me on the Autotrain from Va to Fl. It worked out great. I had my room on the train so I had the table to hold m laptop and the outlets. I was able to watch DVD's I brought (saved me the $50+ to rent the movie viewer from Amtrak's partner) and I had Verizon's broadband Access card so I also had Internet access nearly 90-95% of the way. Headpones are a plus too.

If you have access to an outlet I recommend it to anybody. But if your laptop/notebook gets hot when it runs or is plugged in, make sure you have a way to hold it when traveling. If in the coach seats, you don't want to be holding it in your lap when it's burning hot the entire time.