Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patmort02

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2006
So I am looking to upgrade my macbook to a MBP. While searching through craigslist I stumbled upon a 1 year old MBP. It's the low end version of the MBPs that were first released with the NVIDIA cards. It also has 2 years of applecare left.

The asking price is 1175, which seems a bit low to me. He says he is selling it because he needs a smaller laptop for law school.

I would obviously check it out before buying it, but do you guys think its even worth making the trip to see it.

macworkerbee

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2008
There are so MANY of these posts. Craigslist is a very shady place to do business because of the MASSIVE amount of scams. As the other responder has mentioned, if it is too good to be true (check other prices on ebay, amazon or other place around the web for the same used product) then it most likely is a scam.

FuuFuu

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Roselle
how far away is the trip? you should meet him up in person in a public location, that is the only way to make the transaction 100% legit.

patmort02

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2006
It really wouldn't be that far of a trip (probably 20 mins or so).

What kinds of things should I check if I do end up going?

I plan on checking the serial number to make sure it actually has applecare.

isoceles

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2008
NYC
As everyone else has said, If it's too good to be true it most likely is. If it's only 20 min away meet the guy and make sure he has a receipt from apple or else you wont be able to use your apple care. Don;t forget to bring a knife too.

Chris Rogers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
my house
This one girl had one for sale only 675 but she JUST left to go overseas and had this elaborate plan to get the laptop to me. You can't really get anything good off of CL these days unless it's junk

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
This one girl had one for sale only 675 but she JUST left to go overseas and had this elaborate plan to get the laptop to me. You can't really get anything good off of CL these days unless it's junk

That is a common scam. Please read the links I posted.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
If you read the MR Guides and search the forums before posting, you'll find dozens of threads on this issue and plenty of information and warnings about buying on Craigslist.

I think he wants to discuss it, which is why he posted it. GGJstudios, you are like the volunteer sheriff around here.

OP, good idea about checking for the serial number. At least you will know such a machine exists.

macrumorsMaster

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2008
If you can wait, just keep checking apple's refurb store. Sometimes they have the older MBP's at 1249 or 1299 to 1499 or so.

If you can't wait, have the guy email you the serial # first so you can verify it has a current warranty.:cool:

mBurns

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2006
USA
Uhh.. some of these responses absolutely shock me. You can definitely get "good" stuff on Craigslist. Although Craigslist can be shady, it really isn't if you use common sense. I've both purchased and sold Apple machines on Craigslist WITHOUT a problem. I meet the buyer/seller in a public place for a no hassle experience. All I do is check out the machine and such then do the cash deal. I love Craigslist from both a buyer and seller standpoint because you really get more then selling through eBay or even this forum due to PayPal/eBay costs as well as time. I like it from the buyer's stand point simply due to the fact that I've always gotten a much better deal on Craigslist then eBay or this forum due to no shipping or fees. I would like to add I also sold a car on Craigslist. I mean.. c'mon. I think some of you guys have NEVER even used it before and just listen to all the "stories" you hear on this forum about people getting mugged, etc. Has anyone ever asked where these people met when they got mugged? I'm guessing they met in a private place like a home or such which I would never do.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
Uhh.. some of these responses absolutely shock me. You can definitely get "good" stuff on Craigslist. Although Craigslist can be shady, it really isn't if you use common sense. I've both purchased and sold Apple machines on Craigslist WITHOUT a problem. I meet the buyer/seller in a public place for a no hassle experience. All I do is check out the machine and such then do the cash deal. I love Craigslist from both a buyer and seller standpoint because you really get more then selling through eBay or even this forum due to PayPal/eBay costs as well as time. I like it from the buyer's strand point simply due to the fact that I've always gotten a much better deal on Craigslist then eBay or this forum due to no shipping or fees. I would like to add I also sold a car on Craigslist. I mean.. c'mon. I think some of you guys have NEVER even used it before and just listen to all the "stories" you hear on this forum about people getting mugged, etc. Has anyone ever asked where these people met when they got mugged? I'm guessing they met in a private place like a home or such which I would never do.

Agreed. Who says this is a scam? The price is not crazy low and the story sounds legitimate enough. Call and talk to the person (ask for a # in email if they didn't provide one) and get comfortable. Meet at a bank. You get a good deal.

avigalante

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2007
New York City
Agreed. Who says this is a scam? The price is not crazy low and the story sounds legitimate enough. Call and talk to the person (ask for a # in email if they didn't provide one) and get comfortable. Meet at a bank. You get a good deal.

Agreed; Craigslist is a wonderful place to buy/sell/trade many items (especially electronics).

Most certainly meet at a bank as it provides a secure place to complete the transaction.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I don't think anyone is saying that everything on Craigslist is a scam or a bad deal. The general consensus is that it's wise to be extremely cautious and careful when dealing with anyone from Craigslist, especially if the price seems unusually low. This is due to the prevalence of scams that have been advertised there. Many of the scams have had noticeable similarities such as prices around $640-$700, a seller being overseas, unusual shipping/delivery/payment arrangements, etc. It's always a good idea to check out anything that seems suspicious, especially since some buyers or sellers have been robbed when meeting to conduct a transaction.

mBurns

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2006
USA
I don't think anyone is saying that everything on Craigslist is a scam or a bad deal. The general consensus is that it's wise to be extremely cautious and careful when dealing with anyone from Craigslist, especially if the price seems unusually low. This is due to the prevalence of scams that have been advertised there. Many of the scams have had noticeable similarities such as prices around $640-$700, a seller being overseas, unusual shipping/delivery/payment arrangements, etc. It's always a good idea to check out anything that seems suspicious, especially since some buyers or sellers have been robbed when meeting to conduct a transaction.

Totally, there is no doubt that you need to be careful when going through Craigslist. Though, it doesn't take a genius to realize that a new MacBook Pro or high-line car/item for unusually low prices is 99% a scam or something fishy is going on. Anyone posting on Craigslist knows what the item is worth... the people that don't care what they get for an item donate the item and just take the tax break (i.e. extremely wealthy). Same goes for eBay. Of course, there is always the odd transaction where someone needs money fast but those are few and far between. I have used this CL philosophy for years and have never once had an issue with being mugged, scammed, or receiving fake money.

Also, one other thing people need to realize is that people can say whatever they want on the web. I'm surprised that if someone was mugged on CL it wouldn't be on the news. That definitely seems a local newsworthy story to me.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Also, one other thing people need to realize is that people can say whatever they want on the web. I'm surprised that if someone was mugged on CL it wouldn't be on the news. That definitely seems a local newsworthy story to me.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/baycitynews/archive/2006/07/17/craigslist17.DTL

http://wordpress.com/tag/craigslist-robbery/

http://www.ktvu.com/news/9608559/detail.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/13/nyregion/13iphone.html?fta=y

And many others.

Just a few! :D

Chris Rogers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
my house
I actually sold my motorcycle on CL last year. I stored it at a storage place that was monitored 24/7 which is where we always met. It took 15+ people.

I think CL is a big scam when it comes to buying hot ticket items like iphones, wiis, big screen tv's, or whatever current trend it is.

The important thing is to always protect yourself by performing transactions in public places, or as close to public as possible. I prefer 100% face to face transactions no exceptions.

Good idea with the bank thing. :D

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
I actually sold my motorcycle on CL last year. I stored it at a storage place that was monitored 24/7 which is where we always met. It took 15+ people.

I think CL is a big scam when it comes to buying hot ticket items like iphones, wiis, big screen tv's, or whatever current trend it is.

The important thing is to always protect yourself by performing transactions in public places, or as close to public as possible. I prefer 100% face to face transactions no exceptions.

Good idea with the bank thing. :D

That's what I usually do. I like to be in control of the situation when I deal on craigslist so I try to pick places I'm really familiar with.

I'm a pretty high volume CL seller ($15000 a year at least, not counting cars) and I have never been robbed, scammed or otherwise cheated. Just got a MBP with a iffy screen once, but apple fixed it for free. I've done a lot of deals where I felt really sketched out though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.