MBP on Craigslist

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mike5411, May 10, 2009.

1. mike5411 macrumors regular

Hey guys,

I was searching craigslist and came across a MBP which to me seems almost too good to be true. I would like to know if the pricing is in line of whats expected, if it is low, and if the seller does come through what should I check for to make sure that everything is in order.

According to the post, the specs are as follows:

"I'm selling my Apple (Core 2 Duo) Laptop, which is in an absolute great condition. It's a little over 12 Months old and has warranty untill March 24, 2011.
    Here are the specs for your reference:
    15" Matte Screen (not LED backlit)
    OSX Leopard
    2,4 GHZ (dual core intel)
    4Gigs RAM
    200 Gig Hard Drive
    256 Mb VideoCard
    Comes in it's original box, with manual etc. No Scratches or scuff marks, but for a mild blemish on the left speaker which is barely noticeable."

The posted price is 600 dollars.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks again =)

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

I wouldn't touch it, unless you could get a hands on demo first......

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

And then make sure it never leaves your sight. You don't want to get taken for a bait and switch.

5. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Quite honestly? Sounds legit to me. I'd pick it up in a heartbeat. Meet in a public place and get your hands on it to verify the specs before you hand over the cash...then enjoy! Take it from the guy who picked up an Octo Mac Pro 2.8, 8800GT, 8GB RAM+23" ACD for $1600, a Rev B MacBook Air for $700, and a black MacBook 2.4Ghz for $400 on Craigslist. These deals do exist, you just need to know how to execute them

6. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Probably don't live in your area. I saw a similar post and emailed about it. They just happened to move to Italy for school.

7. Reverendrun macrumors newbie

I'll agree, the deals do exist.

I got my unibody 2.4 Macbook Pro for $1400 on craigslist.

Just contact them and you'll usually know if it's a scam or not right away (most of the time it'll be the 'I just moved to London' excuse). I usually ask a question right away of the seller and that'll give you an idea if it's legit too (Does it come with the discs ect.).

8. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

Everytime I see these kind of posts I just think of this

I'd say do some investigating first to see if you can pay on collection.

9. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

OMG that prank was hilarious. I read the whole thing just now.

10. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Always, always, always buy locally on craigslist, as mentioned before. Usually when there's too great of a deal on craigslist, it will be Amy, Andrew, or someone else who claims to be from your area, but just happens to be living in the United Kingdom temporarily, and will offer some sort of service for you to pay for the item first. THIS IS A SCAM. You may as well go to the nearest large city and give your money to the first Nigerian you see.

If they are local, take a copy of the apple hardware test for your machine, or a copy of techtool pro that comes with applecare with you to test the machine. Meet them in a public place like a copy shop, and print up a bill of sale for the transaction that includes a blank space for the serial number of the machine for the seller to sign. Make a copy of their original receipt and keep it so it will be easier to get applecare on the machine. There's also a form on the apple support site to transfer applecare coverage. Print that and take it with you for the seller to sign.

Good luck.