MBP on ebay with small marks on the screen...applecare?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by robodelfy, Jun 11, 2018.

1. robodelfy macrumors regular

Hi

I've been looking to get a 2015 MBP for a while, but the ones with 1tb ssd and dedicated GPU are rarer, and so this one came up, but it has a couple of marks on the screen.

They look tiny, but you can see them on a light background. The pictures dont really show anything you can see. I messaged him and he said this :

''Hi, the screen marks are tiny nicks on the antibacterial outer layer. They are not the glass or LCD. I know Apple replace screens with screen stain. This is what you get from overwiping, so I’d imagine they would.''

What do you guys think, would Applecare fix this or probably not? If they would then I dont see why he wouldnt have done it himself and made more money on it. But he sells quite a few laptops I think.

Thanks let me know what you think

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If its displaygate they may, but if its other damage then maybe not.

Why not get a 2015 MBP regardless of storage and then upgrade the SSD yourself?

3. robodelfy thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah it doesnt look like display gate, because its two tiny marks. It has applecare, so Im not sure what they'd do.

I didint think you could upgrade the SSD in those macs, its all glued in isnt?
    --- Post Merged, Jun 11, 2018 ---
    Ah Ive just seen you can change them, but the 1tb ones by OWC are about £500. So I dont know if it would make sense compared to waiting for a 1tb model to come up

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

AppleCare only covers defects, not accidental damage. Apple now sells (I beleive it was stared for 2016) applecare plus which includes accidental damage. If its the normal AC then no they probably won't cover it. I wouldn't take a chance. I mean if they would cover it, why did't the seller get it fixed? Perhaps he tried and they wouldn't cover the costs.

2016 models have their SSD soldered on. The 2015 can have it replaced.

5. robodelfy thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I wondered the same thing, but he claims he hasnt tried to get it fixed. I have no idea how to tell if its a defect, maybe the beginning of displaygate happening or if its just a little scratch.

It's £500 for a 1tb SSD, so I'd have to save that much buying a smaller capacity MBP. It would open up a lot of options, but I'm still unsure if its worth it. Thanks though