MBP on low battery wont turn on, even with charger.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Swift Sketcher, Aug 29, 2009.

1. Swift Sketcher macrumors regular

On my MPB, once the battery drains, it won't seem to work unless it's been recharged to a certain point, and that's WITH the charger plugged in. I'll have to wait 15, maybe even 20 minutes of it charging just so it will turn on or recover from sleep in this situation.

So perhaps this is an easy problem to pinpoint if it's just a battery problem... but this certainly wasn't happening before. The battery could reach zero and shut off, but plugging it in would get the mac running again instantaneously. Now anymore. I was also under the impression that the mac will power up regardless of the battery level if ac is in? Why is it waiting on the battery?

(it may also help to know that this only started happening after I was forced to do a fresh install after my harddrive directory was corrupted... I was able to reinstall so I assume what ever caused that corruption was not hardware based...)

Thanks for any advice!

2. 7031 macrumors 6502

I have the same issue, but to be fair I'm not using the original charger (it works fine with this). I am instead using a chinese charger that I got off eBay, and yes, I have the same issue. However as far as I'm aware there is not a fix. Just something you'll have to live with I suppose.

However, if you're still under warranty you might as well call Apple and see what they say.

3. Swift Sketcher thread starter macrumors regular

Nope, no warrantee, no applecare, yep I'm dumb :x

4. 7031 macrumors 6502

Haha I don't have Apple care either. Macbook is about 20 months old or whatever. That, and I've stripped the whole thing down before so I doubt I have any warranty left after that anyway :p.

5. groove-agent macrumors 6502a

My 17" SR wouldn't boot when the battery was on it's way out and the unit was hot. It's in for repair right now under applecare. I don't know if it's related to your problem or not.