MBP Optibay - 9.5mm 2TB HDD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nocturnum, Jul 25, 2014.

1. nocturnum macrumors regular

nocturnum

Dear Frutiarians,

I am on a quest to find a suitable 2TB 9.5mm HDD for my 2011 MBP17. Thus far, I have only found Samesong/Seagate's Spinpoint M9T, which I would very much like to avoid out of my genuine dislike of the former and bad experience with the latter brand.

Currently, my optibay is occupied with 1TB HGST 7K1000, which is a great drive, but insufficient for my library of resources that I need for work.

The question is obvious. Is there any other HDD drive out there that fits the bill?

Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! :)

Sigmund

EDIT:
    • external drive is not an option
    • 1.5TB is not enough
    • squeezing a thicker drive in there or reversing the drive positions is a no no

2. bennynova macrumors member

i'm not sure why anyone would want to waste space in their computer w/ an HDD now-a-days....

external storage (maybe)
    but HDD is soooo slow. and if you have 2TB of data, it's going to be that much slower for your computer to sift through that stuff.

3. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

I'm not sure if you got the memo, but being able to cart around 2TB of data and an SSD. Yeah... You kind of don't have that mobility with a modern Mac, and an external drive is a pathetic excuse for an answer. Your answer also doesn't do anything to help solve the problem.

4. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

Buy the Samsung. Problem solved.

5. Freyqq, Jul 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2014

Freyqq macrumors 68040

6. nocturnum thread starter macrumors regular

nocturnum

7. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

Yep you can fit a 12mm drive in the hard drive bay, but you'll be limited in size to 9.5mm for the optibay.

8. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

What is in your standard drive bay? Can you upgrade that to the same 1TB HGST (excellent drive I agree), or move the 1TB to the standard and put a 1.5TB (I assume you have an acceptable brand in that size), into the optibay and together gain an additional near-1TB of space?

Also consider that a 1.5TB swap would buy you time, no doubt another 2TB option will become available in time...

9. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

External Storage of multiple TB is slow because you're restricted on USB2. With USB3 and Thunderbolt, it's finally fast enough where transfer of larger files is feasible.

If you put these drives internally, it's fast enough to transfer files back and forth.

While the internal SSD on this drive is fast, it's still useless if I'm streaming a 4k movie file. In fact, connected with a 3TB USB2 drive, I can still stream that 4k just as easily and it's limited to 32MB/s connection.

10. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

11. nocturnum thread starter macrumors regular

nocturnum

I have 480GB SanDisk Extreme in my main bay and would like to keep it for a while (I need performance in my main bay and pure storage in the optibay). I'm waiting for drive updates from Plextor/Intel/Corsair in this department.

While 1.5TB is certainly worth considering as something to weather out the wait, I may stick with my present configuration and use one of my portable WDs for the the time being.

Thank you for your thoughts!

Sigmund

12. cube macrumors G5

This is the only 2TB hard drive that fits.

It is not a Samsung product, but legacy branding. They sold their hard drive division to Seagate years ago.

13. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

14. capuzino, Jul 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2014

capuzino macrumors regular

For now it seems to be your only choice to go with the Samsung. If you don't trust the drive, you could always get an external drive for backup.

Then again, if it doesn't matter so much that how your storage is split, you could get 1.5TB drive for the optibay and upgrade your primary drive to 1TB SSD (e.g. Crucial's M500).