MBP + Optibay + ASUS External DVD-RW = Boot from Install Media?

sk3tch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2003
Hi guys,

I just pulled the trigger on buying OWC's Data Doubler and a 750GB WD Scorpio Black 2.5" HDD drive for my incoming 15" MBP. I plan on installing Mac OS X and Windows on my 128GB SSD (70GB OS X / 50GB Win7). My question is, in the case where I need to reinstall an OS (be it Mac OS X or Windows 7) can I safely use rEFIt to boot and install from an ASUS SDRW-08D2S-U/D-BK DVD-RW via USB 2.0?

I would just hate to have to keep reinstalling my Superdrive for these scenarios...and I went with OWC because they seemed to have a better kit for the $$$ versus MCE. Did I make a bad decision?

Thanks!

gullySn0wCat

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2010
It should work, I would suggest making a USB key with an image of the installer on it, though. An easy step to save you a lot of hassle.

sk3tch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2003
It should work, I would suggest making a USB key with an image of the installer on it, though. An easy step to save you a lot of hassle.
Thanks for the response. I did a Google search on creating a OS X USB key...lots of results. Do you have a favorite or a recommended methodology? TIA.

Last edited:

laser71

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2010
Canada
Hi guys,

I just pulled the trigger on buying OWC's Data Doubler and a 750GB WD Scorpio Black 2.5" HDD drive for my incoming 15" MBP. I plan on installing Mac OS X and Windows on my 128GB SSD (70GB OS X / 50GB Win7). My question is, in the case where I need to reinstall an OS (be it Mac OS X or Windows 7) can I safely use rEFIt to boot and install from an ASUS SDRW-08D2S-U/D-BK DVD-RW via USB 2.0?
I can't answer your question - but you and I are building the EXACT same computer - same drives, same method, and we even bought the same external DVD drives.

sk3tch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2003
I can't answer your question - but you and I are building the EXACT same computer - same drives, same method, and we even bought the same external DVD drives.
Ha...I have a high-end 15" coming too...did you go for Hi-Res AR for your screen, as well? Then we're completely twins! :)

We will have to keep in touch throughout the upgrade process.