MBP Optibay SATA3 Issue - Resolved?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nocturnum, Sep 23, 2014.

1. nocturnum macrumors regular

nocturnum

Hello,

Does anyone have information in regard to the issues that 2011 MBPs had with SATA3 drives in optibay? It would seem to me that Apple quietly fixed this with one of the updates on Mavericks.

I would appreciate any kind of information on the matter.

Thank you!

Sigmund

2. awests macrumors regular

AFAIK the issue was part software based and part hardware based. It depends on the model of your laptop. Some were built with SATA III and some with SATA II.

3. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

2011 MBP's have known issues with newer SATA III drives in optical bay. It's a hardware issue primarily with 2011 15 and 17 inch models.

This per OWC:

"Testing has demonstrated that Apple factory hardware does not reliably support a 6G (6Gb/s) Solid State Drive or Hard Disk Drive in the optical bay of 2011 MacBook Pros (ModeI ID8,1; 8,2; 8,3). If your OWC Data Doubler bundle comes with a 6G drive, you should ONLY install that drive in the main drive bay and utilize the Data Doubler to re-task your existing drive or install a new 3G SSD or HDD in the optical bay. PRE-2011 models can utilize a 6G drive in the optical bay, but will do so at a reduced 3G (3Gb/s) speed".

MCE apparently has a drive caddy which fixes this issue.

http://store.mcetech.com/Merchant2/m...de=OBSXGB-XTRM

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=19691293#post19691293

4. nocturnum thread starter macrumors regular

nocturnum

Mine is Early 2011 MBP 17. Currently, I have HGST TravelStar 7K1000 in the optibay and somehow it just works for some months now. I assumed that Apple fixed this software-wise.

Thank you both for your answers.

5. tbn002 macrumors newbie

I have a late 2011 17" MBP with the MCE Optibay Extreme and a SSD in it (Plextor 512GB) and 6GB link speed works. I tried various other optibays in the past and could not get SATA3 to work properly. The optibay extreme version works for me.