MBP optical drive crapped out during OS re-install..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Shark7opus, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Shark7opus macrumors newbie

I was re-installing Snow Leopard on my MBP when my dvd drive went bananas and scratched up my re-install disk, then stopped working completely. I removed the optical drive, but now I only get the folder and question mark when I try to start it up. If I hold the option key while starting up I get a working cursor and nothing else...

I tried removing my SSD and re-installing the original HD, which should be working, but I get the same result.

Is there any way to install the OS without a dvd drive?

Thanks in advance!

2. Shark7opus thread starter macrumors newbie

Also, holding 'Command+R' or 'D' during start up resultsin the question mark folder. Is it worth getting a new optical drive? or is something else wrong?

3. Idefix macrumors 6502

Suggestion: Assemble an external disk drive from newegg.com. Get rid of the MBP internal disk drive and install SSD or HD instead.

If you've got an older MBP with firewire 400, get a firewire enclosure and separate disk drive. If you want to future-proof (for when you get a more recent MBP) get enclosure with firewire 800 and USB 3.0

PS: if you've got a friend with a mac, put the MBP in firewire target disk mode and install from the second Mac.