MBP optical drive noises

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rye9, Apr 21, 2012.

1. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

So my MBP started making this noise a while ago; everything about the computer is fine, however when waking from sleep, turning on/restarting it makes the noise as someone else fortunately has documented on YouTube..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7DHTcZnIxk

I asked the Apple Store today and it'd be ~$150 to repair, but for an issue that literally affects nothing other than the first 10 seconds upon use, I could hardly justify that. But is it safe for me to open it and look in at the drive myself? Or any other suggestions/advice?

2. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

its safe providing you know what you are doing.

I would just get it repaired, that noise would really bug me.

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

There really wouldn't be much of a point in opening it up. It's simply the motor making noises as it wakes up, probably either beginning to fail or just getting old and creaky. I'd just ignore it, unless it really bothers you, in which case you can consider unplugging the drive, but that's only a good option if you literally never use it.

jW

4. rye9 thread starter macrumors 65816

rye9

Well the Genius today said that it was due to a "servo-like arm" getting jammed, probably due to the laptop getting banged around and such. I'm wondering if it's possible to even just knock it back out of the way or something :confused:

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I'd be surprised. If warranty isn't an issue and you're sure you're not going to damage it in the process, then feel free, but I wouldn't expect much. From what I've seen of the inside of those drives, there's not much you can just "knock free".

jW