MBP + Optical Out ?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by roker, Jul 29, 2007.

1. roker macrumors regular

roker

Can anyone tell me, does the MBP, like my iPod video, have an optical out built into the headphone jack?? I have a pudney AV cable thing that I use to connect my iPod to the 42" TV, & wanted to know if I can do this with my MBP. Also, I have forgotten which colours are for what (I have only used it twice in 3 months), as I know Apple/Pudney are a bit backward on their AV cable colouring, & aren't properly colour coded (the guy told me in the store what to put into what, & that worked, but I have since forgotten). Also, should it have the optical out, will my MBP, like my iPod, only go through the TV when I have it playing something?

Thanks ;)

2. kolax macrumors G3

Don't think the iPod has optical out...?

The MacBook Pro does have optical out - but I'm not sure if you are sure what optical is; you seem to be getting confused with optical and an audio/video cable. Optical uses light, and therefore a fibre optic cable is used to carry the digital signal.

Optical out on the MBP is stictley audio only. You will need to buy an adapter (TOS-Link mini adapter, cost a few bucks) and an optical cable. Most home cinemas and decent hi-fi units offer optical in.

If you want video and sound to be on your TV from your MBP, then you will need to buy a DVI to HDMI cable (assuming your TV is HD). This will only carry the video signal. For audio, I doubt your TV will have optical in, so a typical 3.5mm jack to phono would be perfect (red and white connectors).