MBP Optical sound out not working! Please help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by manapple, Jul 4, 2011.

1. manapple macrumors member

Hi, I purchased the feb 2011 13 inch MBP. I bought an optical wire, and a toshlink cable. I want sound out from the mbp, to my Onkyo TX-SR804 Amplifier which connects to my music system.

So I play a 5 channel sound out video (a DVD) from my mac, and then:

1. Connect the toslink - result: red light comes out of it
    2. Connect the optical wire to toslink - result: red light comes out of the other end of the wire
    3. Connect the optical wire to the Amp - result: No sound!

So either my amp doesnt work (unlikely) or some setting is wrong with the mac.

This is what appears on the mac:

1. Screenshot 1 looks at the audio options from preferences
    2. Screenshot 2 looks at the audio midi options (and how it still appears as a 2 channel out)
    3. Screenshot 3 looks at me clicking on the configure option
    4. Screenshot 4 looks at me clicking on the stereo dropdown box from screenshot 3 and how everything is grey in there! WHY?

Please help. (Also tell me is it that I need to buy more things to get optical out from the mac? Or does it work for some people or something?)

Thanks for reading.

https://discussions.apple.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-15548808-16109/Screen+shot+1.png

and screenshots 2, 3 and 4 are here : https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3157893?tstart=0

PHP:

2. manapple, Jul 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2011

manapple thread starter macrumors member

3. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

If the sound output is via the Mini Display Port, it has been my experience that everything needs to be connected bofore you turn anything on i.e. hook up the MDP to whatever then play dvd music etc.

4. manapple thread starter macrumors member

The sound output is via the headphone out, using a toslink adapter

5. manapple thread starter macrumors member

6. manapple thread starter macrumors member

Actually I have done many google searches on this issue...and many people seem to have this problem. I really wonder why the different sound options are greying out for so many users...

This has me wondering, does anyone get optical sound from the mac? And that too multichannel and not stereo