MBP Options

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by LouisMac, May 30, 2017.

  1. LouisMac macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 25, 2017
    #1
    Hi everyone,
    I am looking to upgrade my ageing 2011 Mac Mini to a MacBook Pro.

    I am thinking of the 2015 MBP 15" i7 2.2 or the 2016 MBP 13" w/tb.

    It would be my main computer, including a bit of photo management/editing with Lightroom, music production, light gaming and the usual browsing etc.

    Playing with them in store I liked the touch bar and keyboard on the 2016 but the 2015 sounds like a powerhouse, albeit with older hardware.
     
  2. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2014
    Location:
    North America
    #2
    If you can afford it, you should almost always go with a newer model. That being said, wait until WWDC next week.
     
  3. davetwo macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 29, 2016
    #3
    the 2015 for the ports and extra screensize. No-one needs a touchbar for anything.
     
  4. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2014
    Location:
    North America
    #4
    Only downside though is the legacy ports. The touch bar is a meh, but touchID is fantastic.
     
  5. LouisMac thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 25, 2017
    #5
    Thanks for the replies so far. I can see both models having pros/cons!
     
  6. Fishrrman macrumors G4

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2009
    #6
    When the 2016 models were first introduced, I examined both the new ones and the 2015's, and bought a 2015 instead because I wanted the "legacy ports". But that was my own personal decision.

    Your tastes might not be the same.

    BE AWARE that new MacBook Pro models will be announced next week at WWDC (also see MacRumors "front page" today).

    I WOULD NOT buy a "2016" model UNTIL I'd seen what develops with the 2017's.

    Have patience for another week or two, and see what develops...
     
  7. LouisMac thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 25, 2017
    #7
    I will hold off until after WWDC. I am intrigued by a possible Mac Mini update, if it doesn't materialise then I'll look at my options. Thanks everyone
     

Share This Page