Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Syvere

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
So I checked apple store and I think the choice will be between:
13" Air
1.8GHz i7
256GB SSD
4GB RAM
or
13" MBP
2.8GHz i7
128GB SSD
8GB RAM

The difference in price is minimal. I also plan on getting an iPod. How's the latest classic sound quality-wise?

M0esmac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2012
UK
13" Air
1.8GHz i7
256GB SSD
4GB RAM
or
13" MBP
2.8GHz i7
128GB SSD
8GB RAM

The difference in price is minimal. I also plan on getting an iPod. How's the latest classic sound quality-wise?

I'd choose 13" MBP for sure. Awesome machine, super fast as it has 8gb ram (if you want you can upgrade to 16GB, thats just 85$ (newegg.com)) and 128GB ssd. I wish to have it instead of mine 2.7 i7 GHz.

MacRazySwe

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
I had a 15" MacBook Pro since 2007, but just replaced it with a brand new 13" Air. I also contemplated getting the 13" MacBook Pro instead of the Air, however I must say that I agree with Steve Jobs - the Air is the future of laptops. Yes, the Pro offers more expandability, you get the SuperDrive, you are able to expand RAM, Disk space, et.c. However, do I need the extra expandability? No. The MacBook Air is perfect for me, and comparing the base MBA to the base MBP, the MBA offers the best performance thanks to the SSD. Moreover, it's so sleek looking and easy to carry anywhere. The MBP of today looks not much different than my old MBP from 2007. The Air on the other hand - looks so modern and amazing.

For me, the MBA offers the best compromise between performance and portability. But then again, I have an iMac for my heavier tasks. Whether the Air is sufficient for you, I cannot answer. Do you normally upgrade your computers RAM/HDD? I don't. Instead I save the money, sell the computer and purchase a new one when it no longer suits my standards. Hence, the MBA is perfect for me. If you do upgrade your RAM/HDD, you should scratch the MBA. Then the MBP is definitely the best, and only choice for you.
If I wouldn't have had my iMac, I would probably have gotten a new 15" MBP, or the rumored 15" Air.

If you are an audiophile however, do note that the Air does not offer digital sound output through the headphone jack, unlike the MBP. If you often use a DAC for digital sound, the MBP would be a better choice.

mzjin

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2011
I had a 15" MacBook Pro since 2007, but just replaced it with a brand new 13" Air. I also contemplated getting the 13" MacBook Pro instead of the Air, however I must say that I agree with Steve Jobs - the Air is the future of laptops. Yes, the Pro offers more expandability, you get the SuperDrive, you are able to expand RAM, Disk space, et.c. However, do I need the extra expandability? No. The MacBook Air is perfect for me, and comparing the base MBA to the base MBP, the MBA offers the best performance thanks to the SSD. Moreover, it's so sleek looking and easy to carry anywhere. The MBP of today looks not much different than my old MBP from 2007. The Air on the other hand - looks so modern and amazing.

For me, the MBA offers the best compromise between performance and portability. But then again, I have an iMac for my heavier tasks. Whether the Air is sufficient for you, I cannot answer. Do you normally upgrade your computers RAM/HDD? I don't. Instead I save the money, sell the computer and purchase a new one when it no longer suits my standards. Hence, the MBA is perfect for me. If you do upgrade your RAM/HDD, you should scratch the MBA. Then the MBP is definitely the best, and only choice for you.
If I wouldn't have had my iMac, I would probably have gotten a new 15" MBP, or the rumored 15" Air.

If you are an audiophile however, do note that the Air does not offer digital sound output through the headphone jack, unlike the MBP. If you often use a DAC for digital sound, the MBP would be a better choice.

256GB SSD = $200.

Bam, now don't you wish you got a Pro with a superior screen, up to 16gb RAM etc?

mfuchs88

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2011
13" Air
1.8GHz i7
256GB SSD
4GB RAM
or
13" MBP
2.8GHz i7
128GB SSD
8GB RAM

The iPods have really gone downhill in terms of sound quality since their initial release. If you're listening to MP3's, it won't make a difference, but if you're listening in FLAC or any other lossless format you might want a LOD to portable DAC/Amp combo such as the Fiio E7. :)

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
256GB SSD = $200.

Bam, now don't you wish you got a Pro with a superior screen, up to 16gb RAM etc?

And superior CPU, better battery life, better feeling keyboard (keys have slightly more travel) and (with the 16gb ram) up to 1gb of video memory for the on-board GPU (vs 384mb).

The air is an awesome portable, but as an only machine? No way. Not long term.

In a year to 18 months, that maximum, unexpandable 4gb RAM is going to look mighty limiting - as RAM is currently about $100 for 16gb, application resident size is going to expand as programmers are unshackled and able to use more aggressive caching, threading, etc.

If you do go for an air, bear in mind that you may want to upgrade (as in, sell and purchase new) it a lot sooner than an MBP.

Medic278

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2012
New York
OP based on your post earlier I would go with the MBP. You just have so many more options and the MBP can do everything a MBA can do and sometimes do it better. Plus if you go MBP you have the options to do upgrades your self, RAM for example. You'll be very happy with a MBP they are fantastic machines and while they are heavier than a MBP they are hardly heavy and are plenty portable. Having both a MBA and MBP I would say go with the MBP you'll be happier in the end.

MacRazySwe

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
256GB SSD = $200.

And superior CPU, better battery life, better feeling keyboard (keys have slightly more travel) and (with the 16gb ram) up to 1gb of video memory for the on-board GPU (vs 384mb).

Wow - you two just showed your absence of intelligence. First things first, if you would have had the IQ enough to read my post, you would of seen that I don't personally upgrade RAM/HDD. For me - it's a waste of money, money which is rather saved for a new computer, so why would I (notice, I) worry about being able to upgrade to 16GB of RAM? Yes I'm aware of the performance increase. Do I necessarily need it? No. Do I rather save the cash and buy the newer models? Yes. Did I mention I have an iMac for my heavier tasks? Yes. Moreover, why are you comparing apples and oranges? Why do you compare a base Air to a modified, SSD, 16GB MBP? As I said, the base MBA offers even better performance than the MBP in their base 13" forms. It is also better looking, lighter, sleeker, snappier (thanks to the SSD) and I am able to carry it anywhere.

Secondly, how is the screen superior? Yes the colors may be better. Does that make it better - no. The MBP has a resolution of 1200x800, the same resolutions which the original MB had back in 2006. Wow - talk about superior. The low resolution may work for you, but personally coming from a 15" MBP, I cannot stand it. Thus, I value the higher resolution as being more important than the number of colors it can display or whatever.

Better keyboard? Certainly not.

I am certainly in the wrong ballpark here with an MBA, but coming from an MBP I do have a say, and I am able to offer a more holistic argument than some of you are. Do not think that I did not do my homework before purchasing a $1000 computer. As far as my needs are concerned, I do believe I would know better than you.

That said, I would maybe not recommend the MBA to the OP, as a primary computer.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Wow - you two just showed your absence of intelligence. First things first, if you would have had the IQ enough to read my post, you would of seen that I don't personally upgrade RAM/HDD. For me - it's a waste of money, money which is rather saved for a new computer, so why would I (notice, I) worry about being able to upgrade to 16GB of RAM?

Are you the OP? No? The maybe if you had the IQ to realise i'm pointing out facts for the thread starter to base his decision making process on you wouldn't get so butt-hurt about people disagreeing with YOUR opinion.

And the keyboard is better, i have both an MBP and MBA right here, and the MBA keyboard has less travel. It isn't much, but it is noticeable when switching between them regularly. Its not a deal breaker, but it is an additional factor - and all the small factors add up.

mzjin

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2011
Wow - you two just showed your absence of intelligence. First things first, if you would have had the IQ enough to read my post, you would of seen that I don't personally upgrade RAM/HDD. For me - it's a waste of money, money which is rather saved for a new computer, so why would I (notice, I) worry about being able to upgrade to 16GB of RAM? Yes I'm aware of the performance increase. Do I necessarily need it? No. Do I rather save the cash and buy the newer models? Yes. Did I mention I have an iMac for my heavier tasks? Yes. Moreover, why are you comparing apples and oranges? Why do you compare a base Air to a modified, SSD, 16GB MBP? As I said, the base MBA offers even better performance than the MBP in their base 13" forms. It is also better looking, lighter, sleeker, snappier (thanks to the SSD) and I am able to carry it anywhere.

Secondly, how is the screen superior? Yes the colors may be better. Does that make it better - no. The MBP has a resolution of 1200x800, the same resolutions which the original MB had back in 2006. Wow - talk about superior. The low resolution may work for you, but personally coming from a 15" MBP, I cannot stand it. Thus, I value the higher resolution as being more important than the number of colors it can display or whatever.

Better keyboard? Certainly not.

I am certainly in the wrong ballpark here with an MBA, but coming from an MBP I do have a say, and I am able to offer a more holistic argument than some of you are. Do not think that I did not do my homework before purchasing a $1000 computer. As far as my needs are concerned, I do believe I would know better than you.

That said, I would maybe not recommend the MBA to the OP, as a primary computer.

Base mbp + ssd + 16gb ram is still cheaper than a base13" Air. Your fear of upgrades is you, it saves money rather than wastes it. No one buys macs loaded with ram because it is always cheaper to upgrade yourself.

The pros have better colors and viewing angles, which as a useable LCD far surpasses any extra bit of resolution you get on a tiny 13" screen.

Even as a secondary computer, I would avoid the air as its weight savings isn't enough for its hugely inferior components.

JMountainDew

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2012
First time poster. I, too, am waiting for the new MBA and MBP to come out, and will finally make the jump away from windows, and am still uncertain which one to go with. My aging, astigmatic eyes will want the best screen possible for them since I will be looking at it for hours each day. Any bits of wisdom to share with me?

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
I'm thinking on buying a 17" MBP and perhaps a 11" Air as well.

Wait for the new Macbooks to come out, then you can decide hehe :) xD

Syvere

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
The iPods have really gone downhill in terms of sound quality since their initial release. If you're listening to MP3's, it won't make a difference, but if you're listening in FLAC or any other lossless format you might want a LOD to portable DAC/Amp combo such as the Fiio E7. :)

In fact I already have E7. I'll probably try the E11 at some point. I just don't like the idea of carrying two devices and I'll probably just plug the E7 to Mac.

mark28

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2010
How are they better? I haven't heard about this before.

The MBP has better color accuracy and much better color gamut. The MBP screens are better. ( at least if you get an Anti glare screen )

39865.png

39866.png

Syvere

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
I probably don't have the patience to wait for the refresh because who knows when that'll even happen. Too bad I still can't decide between the Air and MBP. SSD space isn't that much if an issue for me because I have NAS and I use USB hdd for media storage.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
A main computer? How about a Mac Pro with a 30" Cinema Display?

Main to me = not portable, but MAIN.
Portable = secondary/luggable/part time use.

In other words, if I want to get real work done, I use a desktop. I have always felt a bit like trying to do 'serious' work on a laptop is like using a Tinker-toy or an underpowered slug.

Syvere

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
A main computer? How about a Mac Pro with a 30" Cinema Display?

Main to me = not portable, but MAIN.
Portable = secondary/luggable/part time use.

In other words, if I want to get real work done, I use a desktop. I have always felt a bit like trying to do 'serious' work on a laptop is like using a Tinker-toy or an underpowered slug.

Laptop using a dock is just as good as a desktop as long as the performance is there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.