MBP (or all Mac) Accessories...Where to Buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iphoner2010, Dec 23, 2008.

1. iphoner2010 macrumors member

Okay....so I snoop...a lot. I just found out that for Christmas I am getting a 15" MBP 2.53 GHz, but I also realized that my parents didn't buy anything I need to run it. Since our family has always only had 1 desktop, we don't have wireless. I want an Airport Extreme, Office:Mac 2008, iWork '08, and a Neosprene Case.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where I can buy these products for cheaper than that of apple.com (I know amazon.com has some big discounts).

Thx:apple:

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You don't want both Office and iWork.

Just get iWork.

Great job ruining your surprise, too. :D

3. iphoner2010 thread starter macrumors member

Well, if I got one or the other it would be office:mac (because of school...we use more than just word). But, I like working with iWork so much that I want that too. And I always find my gifts...it really pisses my mother off, but she knows that I'm going to do it anyway. :apple:

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The iWork suite exports to Office filetypes, and you can open Office filetypes in the iWork suite.

OWC is the place for Mac accessories and upgrades... well, upgrades... Buy a neoprene case at Best Buy, don't get any help from anyone who works there. Just ignore them or be listening to music so they won't bother you.

5. iphoner2010 thread starter macrumors member

Ha! I love Best Buy employees...so unhelpful unless you want them to ignore you....then they hover over you like vultures. :apple:

6. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I disagree about the other post telling you to just buy iWork. Nearly everyone in education and business world use Microsoft Office. And, Office 2008 for the Mac is a better product. I use Office primarily, and I wish I would have never bought iWork. I stopped using iWork for the word processor and numbers applications. I do like Keynote better than PowerPoint though. Although, if I were to buy only one, I would definitely buy Office.

Also, consider buying via Live.com and eBay, you can get some big discounts.

Congrats on the gift, and Happy Holidays.

7. iphoner2010 thread starter macrumors member

thanks for backing me up, Scottsdale. But, I really don't want to auction for the stuff, I just want a retailer that discounts it. :apple:

8. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Don't waste your money on AirPort Extreme. Not only is it a terrible product (it has major issues with games consoles and many other network devices) but it is also massively overpriced. Unless you're going to be doing heavy-duty file transfers between machines over WiFi, you'll be fine with 'g' networking.

9. iphoner2010 thread starter macrumors member

Okay....then what is a good product to get. My printer is not wireless, so I need a router with a USB port (like the APE) that can make my printer print wirelessly.:apple: