MBP or Dell XPS.....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kmjones, Aug 1, 2007.

1. kmjones macrumors newbie

Just wondering which would be the better buy. They are close in price so thats not a big deal, but could I config XPS to run OSX ? Dell has superior hardware and I'm having a tough time deciding.... I know this is a mac forum so it will be slightly bias but what are some advantages disadvantages between the two.

Thanks,

Kevin

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

You can't get the XPS to run OS X. But you can get OS X to run XP. Seems like an easy decision to me.

Get the MBP. No question about it. And I'm only slightly bias, ultimately the best computer should be bought and the Mac is the better computer.

4. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

I had a similar delema when I was picking out my computer, about 3 weeks ago. I went with the macbook pro for a few reasons.

I like the look better
    I like Mac OS X and can't stand vista
    Pretty Similarly Priced

That was enough for me, try configuring both as close as posiible and post the specs and prices.

5. kmjones thread starter macrumors newbie

right right, sorry im comparing the mbp 15" 2.2ghz + 2gb ram to the XPS 13" config with top of the line hardware (graphics, proc, hdd speed, size). I currently have a G4 powerbook, but I got screwed in alot of my engineering classes because I couldnt run the apps (virtual machine only ran at like 400 mhz). I know the core2 line can boot windows ect so I know it wont be a problem. There is no way to run OSX? obviously I love the OS but I also really like the new XPS.

Kevin

6. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Do let me warn you. Vista is really pretty crap. Looks aside and all, it just isn't a completed OS and it is not very snappy. If you do go with the PC get XP installed on it.

7. milk242 macrumors 6502a

I do agree with you on the Dell XPS 1330 line, those are some niice 13.3" laptops... but you can't run OSX on PCs without a lot of hacking but even then, it still isn't fully functional (can't use your extra features that came with the XPS). MBPs are awesome though and if I was presented with the MBP or XPS 1330 I would still go MBP. OS X is just too awesome and if you like the glitter of Vista or need XP you can still install it with an Apple made program (bootcamp).

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Upgrading the M1330 is an expensive prospect even with an education discount. You'd get a better value from the 2.2 GHz MacBook Pro.

9. kmjones thread starter macrumors newbie

here are the specs:
    My Components
    Tuxedo Black
    Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7500 (2.2GHz/800Mhz FSB, 4MB Cache)
    Slim and Light LED Display with VGA Webcam
    2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz
    Speed: 200GB SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)
    CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW Drive)
    128MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8400M GS
    Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-card
    Built-in Bluetooth capability (2.0 EDR)
    85Whr Lithium Ion Battery (9 cell)
    Integrated Sound Blaster Audigy HD Software Edition

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You're still looking at over $2,000 for that.

11. brandonshough macrumors regular

brandonshough

The MacBook Pro still has a better GPU....

12. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

I set up the xps to similar specs and it is 2139, more than the MBP, plus the MBP has more extras

13. jdechko macrumors 68040

Here's what I came up with

XPS M1710 - $3,133
    17" WUXGA
    C2D 2.33
    Win XP Pro
    2GB RAM
    160GB 5400rpm HD
    8x DL-DVD Burner
    256MB GeForce™ 7900 GS (Closest thing to 8600M in 17" MBP)
    Intel Pro Wireless a/g, Dell Bluetooth

MacBook Pro 17" - $ 2,899
    17" WUXGA
    C2D 2.4
    Mac OS X
    2GB RAM
    160GB 5400rpm HD
    8x Superdrive
    256MB GeForce 8600M GT
    Airport, Bluetooth

(Italics mean these components were upgraded)
    No additional software (A/V, office, etc)or external components (Monitors, TV tuners, printers, etc) were added.

But I didn't realize you were looking at the 1330. :D I just want the 17" MBP + WUXGA.

14. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

He wants the 13" one not the 17"

15. kmjones thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah 13" xps vs 15" mbp ..... I guess I'm just getting cold feet before I drop a boat load of cash! does win xp run at full speed while using bootcamp? also how bad is gaming on it? and my final question is why is the resolution so low on the mbp?

thanks,

kevin

16. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It runs Windows as fast as any other laptop with the same hardware. You might want to pick up some better video drivers though.

I'd check out the refurbished 2.2 GHz model for $1,699 unless you have an education discount.

17. kmjones thread starter macrumors newbie

yup I got the edu discount. Although I do not play video games too often, will Half-Life 2 run well on it?

18. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

It should, it runs as if it were a windows laptop, good luck

19. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's just like any other Windows only laptop with the exact same specifications. I strongly suggest that you install different video drivers though. Apple's for the 8M series aren't that good.

20. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

Eidorian : Link me up please :)

As for playing HL2, the game plays at full settings at a very stable FPS, the only time where I noticed a slow down was during the end with the level where you have to "get to the horseeee," but that's just a cluster----.

If you can, iPod + Printer + 2.2 GHZ MBP for $1800 (plus sales tax) is a great deal.

21. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/

http://www.omegadrivers.net/

22. Gromet macrumors regular

Gromet

Dude, I got my new 15" MBP about three weeks ago... you can NOT compare the quality of the MBP to the quality of a Dell. I am a hardcore computer user. First computer when I was 4, programming when I was 7, ran a 32 phone line BBS out of my bedroom when I was 9, setup my first Novell Network for a company when I was 12. I have used Dell's since they were first around up until my last XPS m1210.

The MBP BLOWS away Dells hardware. Fit and Finish and Build quality. If I was going PC I would go Dell but the Mac is such a nicer machine. Besides the fact that you can dual boot to either OSX or XP, or Vista and runt them VIA parallels as well. Come on, the MBP is a far supperior built machine and has way more functionality than a dell.

Not only that but I have never had XP run as smoothly as it does on my MBP when I do have to use it. Best of both worlds really.

Vista is a mess and XP is only there in case something comes up that is not available on a mac (Rare these days). But once you go OSX you will see how rediculous windows is and avoid it as much as you can...

23. amusiccale macrumors 6502

But, one thing you can compare, to be the devil's advocate: to compare equally, find the 13" Apple notebook with the discrete graphics. The Dell notebooks are also slick; osx is not for everyone.

24. mick4394 macrumors 6502a

mick4394

I own, and use, Macs and PCs. I hold no bias toward either. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. My current machine of choice is a Dell XPS M1210.

If you want a lot of power, in a small package, there are a lot of options out there, but none of them will have an Apple logo.

25. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Yes. It's fine. LOTRO at medium settings.