MBP or Imac and..

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by RyanTheGeneral, Sep 10, 2009.

  1. RyanTheGeneral macrumors regular

    Sep 10, 2009
    Hello everyone, I am new to the forums and need some advice. I figured this would be the best site to ask.

    First let me start by saying I am a new apple fan (not fanboy) and love the products apple has to offer. I am as of right now a PC owner who just recently had a virused PC that is now fixed and G2G. I also loved when I saw the Ipod touch(itouch) for the first time and bought one and am also a recent owner of the IPhone 3G.

    Ok now to my question,

    As I said I am a PC owner as of now but am looking to switch over to the Macintosh family. I am debating a couple things first I am almost 100% positive I want a macbook pro. But I also think I want a IMac. Now I plan to get the MBP in oct. (im in school already but cant make the jump just yet) however should I wait to see what is up and coming in the MBP line? or just make the switch when I can in Oct.?

    Also is it worth getting both an IMac and a MBP? I read some post of people having both so i just want to make sure what the overal verdict on that is.. I want the Pro mainly for school and when I am not home and the desktop when I am in my room just relaxing.

    Also if I do get the IMac should I also wait to see whats in the lineup for the new imac? or would it be worth getting the one that is available now?

    As a new buyer I am not sure if a newer version will basically make the old model obsolete. any info and help would be nice.. I look forward to being a part of the community as I have checked out the site before but just today decided to join.

    Sorry for the long thread and thanks in advance
  2. gothamm macrumors 6502a

    Nov 18, 2007
    get the portable macbook pro and never look back.

    having 2 computers is asking for a headache, with syncing issues and all
  3. spillproof macrumors 68020


    Jun 4, 2009
    Personally, if I was in your situation, I'd wait till the new models come out. I like to get the newest thing when I need something if I know it will need to last me 3+ years.

    Since you really want a MBP, get it and an external display. No messing with file syncing and the what not.
  4. electroshock macrumors 6502a


    Sep 7, 2009
    Sounds like the MBP might be easier in most typical situations and a lot more portable than trying to stuff your iMac into a backpack for a plane trip somewhere. :D

    But for home use, if you want a larger monitor or a more full-featured keyboard or a 2 (or 3) button mouse... no problem. Just plug in whatever monitor you want, whatever external keyboard you like, and whatever mouse (wired or wireless) and you're set for home use.

    Yet, at the same time, easy to just unhook stuff and take the MBP on the road when you travel. I got my MBP about 2 1/2 years ago and it's still going strong. I'm not looking to upgrade it in the foreseenable future.
  5. ditzy macrumors 68000


    Sep 28, 2007
    Get the MBP first. It's a while until they will be updated so I wouldn't recommend waiting. After a few weeks you'll know if you want an iMac as well.
    By the way, I offer this as friendly advise, and am not having a go at you. It would be wise on this forum to call the iPod Touch, the iPod Touch. Definitely not the iTouch.
  6. Scepticalscribe Contributor


    Jul 29, 2008
    The Far Horizon
    MBP would be my recommendation. It has the best possible combination of power and portability and is a machine which should last you a few years. I have a 15" MBP and it is easily the best computer I have ever owned.

    And I'm writing as a switcher - I used to have PCs (I have owned Toshiba, Sony and Olivetti laptops) which were fine computers in their day, - and still use PCs at work - but Apple is far better.

    Cheers and good luck
  7. RyanTheGeneral thread starter macrumors regular

    Sep 10, 2009
    So you don't think there will be any updates soon toward the mbp? When do you see a update coming? And thanks that's one reason I was scared to get it now. And sorry just lazy to type it all out lol. I'm using the IPOD touch right now. Thanks for advice
  8. robsaskibum macrumors newbie

    Aug 16, 2009
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I would agree with his recommendation. I have both and I LOVE it, but get the MBP first and see if you think you want an iMac. MobileMe makes syncing the important stuff really easy, and the new iTunes 9 makes syncing your media super easy. I would be extremely surprised if they did a big update on the MBP in the next year... they just recently got a few big upgrades in the last year, year and a half. The computer line usually gets updated in January or so, but I would think it's going to be desktops mostly (possibly, and hopefully a tablet or some other new thing). So that being said, get the MBP whenever you can, and if you decide you want the iMac, might be worth waiting till the beginning of the year to see what is announced in that department. If you could make bets on this kind of stuff, I'd bet a fair amount of money you'd be safe with going with that in mind.

    Also, you have to realize that Apple comes out with new products fairly frequently, and there's almost no time where you're 100% safe from being outdated for a long time. That being said, often times they are minor updates, and not that big of a deal. I'd say that MBP isn't going to change significantly for a long time though. iMacs are due for a big update though.
  9. ditzy macrumors 68000


    Sep 28, 2007
    I'd guess and really that's all anyone can really do with apple, that the MBP wont be updated for at least 3 months, probably 4 to 5. Even then it would only really be a small speed bump.

Share This Page