MBP or iMac?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kyotoma, Nov 11, 2011.

?

Which Mac should I get?

1. Sell your iPad and get a MacBook Pro

7 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. Get an iMac and continue using your iPad for class.

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  1. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

I have an interesting situation. I will be transferring to a University next fall and since my laptop PC is dying a slow and painful death I have been thinking for a while of going Mac. I have a first generation iPad, which is what I use for class notes(Pages + iCloud = perfect) and general media consumption, but still(painfully) use my PC to write papers and compile presentations and occasionally code and program for some of my IT classes. I also plan to start seriously develop apps for iOS, having had an iOS dev account since May of this year.

So here's my question to you: Should I ditch my iPad and just get a MacBook Pro? Or keep my iPad and get an iMac instead? I was planning on eventually get a newer iPad, but probably not until some time in 2013 or beyond when Apple stops supporting new iOS releases for it.

2. Resist macrumors 68030

Each device has it place depending on your needs. You have to decide which factor is most important, cost, power or portability. Once you figure that out, then the choice is easier.

3. thundersteele macrumors 68030

I would go for the MBP. This gives you the possibility to work in a cafe or basically just anywhere. The dorm is not always the most inspiring working environment.

4. psykick5 macrumors 6502

MacBook Pro for sure. Portability is a necessity.

5. warvanov macrumors 6502a

Well, I dont' see why you can't hold on to the iPad and also get a MacBook Pro. The 13" MBP is a very capable machine and it's the same price as the entry level iMac. Maybe you should clarify which MBP and iMac you're considering.

6. Mersailios macrumors regular

Which size MacBook Pro are you looking at potentially purchasing?