MBP or iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Free Ale, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Free Ale macrumors member

Free Ale

Wirelessly posted

Hey everyone, I will be getting a Mac product for the first time. This will be used during college next fall. I don't know which on to buy.

I love the portability and powerhouse of a MBP.although, I don't take my current laptop anywhere and use it as a desktop. And I've been told people never use their laptops at class. And I think I would be putting some stress on the laptop with various games. Non of these should be to intense.

I like the fact of a really big screen on an iMac. I haven't checked the specs lately but I bet they are nice! I like how the iMac would never get hot(like a laptop). Idk but I think I have a thing for the Mbp for some reason.

If you guys could give me the pros and cons of each that would be amazing! Thanks! And I wrote this pretty fast on my iPhone so sorry for typos.

2. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

I prefer having an iMac at home and an iPad to use on the go, but that's just me. I also have a 12" HP Windows 7 laptop provided to me by my job so buying another laptop wouldn't be worth it. I enjoying having the larger screen iMac at home, but you will have to weigh the pros and cons. I might add that you could probably buy a low end 21.5" iMac and get an iPad to complement it for about the same price as a 15" MacBook Pro.

3. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

Apparently the iMac can get hot, but at least you don't have it on you lap.

Sounds like screen size is more important to you than portability, so iMac is the way to go, assuming you are OK with the glossy screen.

I have an older iMac from before the glossy screens. My next Mac is looking like it will be a Mac Mini with an non-Apple matte screen. That is another option to consider.

If you are going to college away from home, a Mini might be a good idea as you can easily take it back home when you visit and connect to a TV or another monitor there.

4. hafr macrumors 68030

To add to what the others have said...

Taking the computer to class requires you to be faster in taking notes on the computer than on paper for it to be worth it, and you need the self discipline not to do other things (like checking facebook or playing games).

But most importantly, do you need the computer to study? A lot of people can't study properly at home, meaning they need to go to the library. If you need the computer to study, and you can't study at home, get the MBP. In any other case, get the iMac.

Actually, get the iMac either way and get a cheap netbook should you need one in the library.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think if you do like the portability option, the MBP is the way to go.

Personally, I type faster then I write by hand, so taking notes is easier for my by typing but I agree with hafr. Also with note taking depending on the course, you may be better off with pen/paper. Writing notes and doing diagrams is more seamless and quicker with the notebook then with a laptop.

6. ooninay macrumors member

Don't overlook the ability to connect a MBP to an external monitor while at home. It'll cost you, but connecting it to something like a current gen cinema display will give you the same screen size as an iMac but with the portability of a laptop. And the cabling to connect MBP to a cinema display is so easy and elegant it almost makes me want to cry...

7. chatfan macrumors regular

chatfan

Exactly, or get a nice HP screen, if you buy a good quality one: they have really nice panels and are a bit cheaper then a cinema display.

At home I have a Mac Pro with 2 30inch HP, but for most stuff I sit on the couch downstairs with my 17inch MBP. Feels just as fast in general use, same goes for the new 15 inch MBP, they are really nice and unlike a iMac you have the choice to be portable or not.

Not sure other screen producers offer anything close to the connection elegance apple provides though.

8. njean777 macrumors 6502

I would just go with the MBP, it can be attached to a monitor if you want, and you would have the option of portability.