Mbp or iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mossmann, May 24, 2012.

1. Mossmann macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm a film student and use my 24" 2009 iMac for editing. It's starting to struggle with after effects and can't even run davinci resolve now so it's time for an upgrade.

I'm really stuck on what do get. I'm going to uni in September and think that I might want a laptop so I can use it everywhere, but I like the screen size and power of an iMac.

I currently use my iMac at home for heavy editing and then use my iPad for college notes and Internet.

If I got a Mbp I would need a high end one to run some of the software I have

I'm thinking stick with my iMac and iPad setup but how powerful will the new Mbp be and how much more than the iMac will I have to pay to get the same or similar specs?

Cheers :)

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What's your budget? That'll probably be the determining factor.

3. macrominnie macrumors member

The question might be how much machine is needed to do what you want easily and with extra horsepower when you need it. For some things, the gap between the hi end MBP's and the iMacs is not that big.

Take a look at this, for instance:
    http://barefeats.com/fcpx01.html

"The big surprise is how close the iMac and top MacBook Pro came to the Mac Pro in Final Cut Pro X performance. "

The current and next generation MBP's may be plenty. The pricing of the new ones will probably be a similar range to the current prices.