MBP (or Mac O/S) not compatible with android phones?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pourmood, Jun 12, 2011.

1. pourmood macrumors newbie

I have the Samsung Continuum which is an Android phone and when I connect it to my MBP with an USB, it doesn't communicate with each other. I can only send files from my MBP to my phone via Bluetooth, but not vice-versa.

Anyone else experiencing this issue? Or am I missing a step?

TIA.

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

What happens when you try it? Does your phone ask whether to enable USB when you connect it?

I haven't used Samsung's version of Android so it's possible that there's an extra step needed, but "normal" Android just needs you to press the enable USB button that automatically pops up when you connect the phone.

3. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

+1. It's like this on my Nexus

4. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

You can't have a MBP and an Andriod. You can only have a PC and Android or MBP and iPhone.

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Rubbish.

6. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

Make sure your phone's USB connection mode is set to USB host (or sync or whatever it's called on your phone) or USB mass storage mode, and not Charge Only. This should be accessible in the notification panel, or may pop up when you connect your phone.

7. peanuthead macrumors member

Joking, right?

8. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

Why one would act like an expert, yet give out false information, doesn't make sense.

My MBP, MBA & Mac Pro's all work well with my Android phones. Just as easily as they do with my iPhone.

It's simple, just learn what you're doing.

9. Mak47 macrumors 6502a

You'll have to pull down your drop-down menu on your phone and select how you want to use the USB connection. Then it'll show up.

Yes, it's an extra step.

10. fattire357 macrumors regular

Actually it is incompatible. It's not Apple's fault - Samsung chose to use a proprietary interface that it has not released for OSX.

I think it is still works with bootcamp although I cannot confirm.

There are also some bootloader modifications for your Android device that make it conform to open source standards that work for OSX.

11. pourmood thread starter macrumors newbie

Great suggestions. I'll give it a shot once I get home.

12. AdrianK macrumors 68020

You're way over complicating things. All Android devices have the capability to mount the phone's memory card storage over USB. Every single one.

Just pull down the notification draw from the top, click the USB storage open and choose to mount; job done.

It has absolutely nothing to do with bootloaders or proprietary interfaces.

13. pourmood thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, it still doesn't work.

I did select the "mount" option and the USB setting is not on charge only. If it's connected properly, I should be able to see the disk image on the homescreen, correct?

14. fattire357 macrumors regular

I think I misunderstood the OP. For copying files over while the android phone is booted up you're totally correct that you can just mount it without any drivers.

Nonetheless, the Samsung Continuum does fail at interfacing with OSX during download mode (which is when the phone is not booted and you can only flash a new ROM). They had a few versions where during download mode it conformed to open source standards, then they switched back to using a propriety interface for a while (?!!?!). It is frustrating as hell and doesn't serve any purpose.

Okay, back on topic. If you are able to click the "mount" button, yes, you should see the device.

15. th3goob macrumors regular

I know this doesnt help much, but the first day i got my mac i plugged in my inspire 4g running cm7, and it loaded fine so its probably samsung, try calling their tech support or calling verizon, even tho with verizon they will probably tell you false information

16. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

ok wow this is really easy to fix turn on usb debugging on the phone i have used many android phones flawlessly just turn on usb debugging then try to mount

17. mtip macrumors member

None of the many androids I've used require USB debugging to mount on a mac. Just plug in the cable, select the mount option on the phone if it's not mounting automatically (you can choose the default action when USB is connected on some phones, HTC comes to mind) and the phone's memory card will appear in Finder as a removable drive. No magic required.

18. Thunder82 macrumors 6502

Same here. I've never had any issues connecting my android phones to my MacBook Pro, including my current Samsung Droid charge.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

19. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

idk i i have come across a few usually samsung that need it since their drivers are baked into their kies software but i have not had an android phone that would not mount to a mac.

captivate, droid, droid x, droid 2, incredible, mytouch 3g, fascinate, inspire, nexus s, infuse. i ahve used and mounted all of these at some point and have never had an issue.

20. haroldg48 macrumors newbie

could we get a little less technical here?

I'm trying to use my MBP which I love, to synch email and calendar with my Samsung Captivate, and I just can't get it to happen, no matter what I try.

Help anyone?

21. pourmood thread starter macrumors newbie

S.M.A.R.T. status says not compatible. I guess this phone just won't work with a MBP. Thanks everyone.