MBP or Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by shofnerd, Jun 14, 2010.

1. shofnerd macrumors newbie

I, like many, have been waiting a long time to upgrade to a Mac Pro, but I just can't wait any longer for the refresh. I'm running a max'd out G4 dual 867 MDD and it just can't go much longer so I have to buy now.

My question is should I get the single quad core tower or go with a 17" i5 MBP (8gb ram and 500gb 7200 HDD)? I've never had a laptop but would appreciate the ability to take it with me when needed. I am a graphic designer, so I use Adobe CS a lot and expect it to perform.

I am aware there will be speed differences in the tower vs laptop. But I'm wondering if I would miss or notice it that much coming from my old mac. On a side note, I also run a PowerMac G5 (dual 2 gig) at my day job and think it performs excellent so I guess I would hope for similar performance or better. Opinions welcomed - Thanks!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If PowerMac G5 is fine for you, then iX MBP will be more than enough. The biggest disadvantage of it is the lack of upgradeability. Mac Pro can house several HDs and has 4 PCIe slots for various expansions while MBP doesn't. If those are not concerns of yours, then MBP will be fine, just hook it to a monitor

3. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

An iX mbp will do the job just fine. I'm currently running CS5 on a 2,5 ghz Core 2 Duo mbp with 4 gb ram and have absolutely zero problems - even when creating and editing larger psd documents (about 1gb).

Compared to your G4 and G5 your new mbp will fly. :)