MBP or Macbook with LED Cinema display?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by CoolKen86, Mar 17, 2009.

1. CoolKen86 macrumors member

I am planning to get my first Mac but i'm not sure which one is a better choice for me. I can either get a Macbook Pro 2.66ghz or a Macbook 2.4ghz with the LED Cinema Display they cost about the same. I'm going to use it for surfing the net, watching HD video, play a little game and some basic photo editing. And I have a few question, Is the display good? Will the macbook be compatible with Snow Leopard when it comes out? So which one is a better deal for me? Thanks in advance!

2. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

I have used both and the display on the Pro is much nicer to look at when you are comparing laptop screens. I have not seen the Cinema display in action, but I have connected my MB to my 24" Samsung and it does 1920x1200 very nicely.

I like the idea of the simplified cables you get with the display.

For me it would boil down to how much you will be on the road with the laptop. Non gaming performance will be very similar on both units.

3. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

For what you do, the MB will be more than enough. And, you'll absolutely love the extra screen real estate and features of the LED display. Snow Leopard will be fully compatible on the 2.4 MB. In fact, I'm using it right now on the 2.0 MB. The advantages that come with the MBP, such as the better, bigger display and louder, more clear speakers are all offset by the fact that the LED display has even better speakers, and an even better display.

The graphics card won't be beneficial to you unless you play many intense games at high settings.

4. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Get the 2.0GHz MacBook model. The 2.4GHz model has very few extra features and these are really not worth the massive amount of money Apple wants on top of the 2.0GHz price.

5. CoolKen86 thread starter macrumors member

Another question, is the Display even worth it? or is there another LED screen that is cheaper?

6. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

7. CoolKen86 thread starter macrumors member

Umm... because they are better i guess... Any other good monitor?

8. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

You're not going to find an LED display that's an H-IPS display for the same price as the :apple: LED display. Add in the Magsafe charger, iSight, and built in speakers, and Apple's giving you a fantastic deal.

9. CoolKen86 thread starter macrumors member

I really dont know which macbook to get. I like the macbook because it is very portable and the Pro because of the screen and performance...

10. Zea74 macrumors newbie

For the fairly basic stuff that you describe, don't hesitate and go for the MacBook:
    - portability is still better then the Pro
    - you won't feel the lack of performance with what you plan to do with it
    - if you get the Cinema display (or even a far cheaper alternative), you have a big screen when wanted/needed
    And 2.0 or 2.4, well... that one I haven't figured out for myself yet either :eek:

Good luck

11. pwn247 macrumors 6502

pwn247

As mentioned above, get the MacBook + Cinema Display.

The MacBook, although lacking the "Pro" brandname, is one heck of a powerhouse. While it's not the fastest notebook from Apple, it will do anything you need it to. (Plus it's much more portable and, of course, damn sexy.)

And the LED Cinema Display is gorgeous too. Makes it worthwhile to just get the MacBook and use it as a desktop with your display.

12. CoolKen86 thread starter macrumors member

If I get the macbook Pro but then change my mind after a few days of use, will i be able to return it and exchange it for a macbook? do they charge me for that?

13. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

There will be a restocking fee... 10% I believe

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

14. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

you mention gaming... I'd just caution you that games are not going to run very well with the MB's graphics card at the 24" display's native resolution. At lower resolutions you'd be Ok.

15. dwsolberg macrumors 6502a

I have a MacBook 2.4 with the 24" cinema display, and I love it. The computer is very, very fast for everything I do -- Fusion Windows XP, Photoshop, Excel, Word, iTunes, iPhoto, statistical programs, and the internet. I put in a WD 320 GB 7200 drive and 4 GB of memory.

The 24" is amazing. You look at photos and wonder how they can look that great. It's also tremendously convenient to have the connectors all in one place -- I have had external monitors before, but they were a pain to connect.

The only thing I'd improve is the quality of the MacBook's display. It's okay, but could definitely be better (especially compared to the 24" LED).

Overall, I'm very pleased with my setup. I moved from a 2.2 Ghz MBP, and this computer is faster.

16. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I have a new MBA with the 24" Apple Cinema Display. The display is absolutely beautiful. It seems so large next to the MBA's native display. The PERFECT thing about the ACD is it is also like a docking station for in your case a MB. It has power for your MB, USB hub (so can leave all USB devices plugged in), and has speakers and camera built in. I really encourage you to buy a 24" ACD whichever route you go (even if you buy the MBP, you can save up and buy later). I believe you will have a better all around computing experience with the MB and 24" ACD.

However, if you want to do gaming, it may depend on the game whether you could actually play it on a MB. The MB has integrated graphics and doesn't play games well. I own a Unibody MB 2.4 and an older v2,2 MBP, and the MBP is so much better for my kids to play with for games and entertainment media because of the graphics and larger display. The 15.4" MBP feels really big compared to the MB in terms of display size. At the same time, the weight of the MBP is not that much heavier than a MB.

If it were me, I would do the following. Buy a MBP 2.4 GHz Refurbished from Apple.com for $1699, and buy the 24" LED ACD for $899. The net price is only $99 more than just buying a new 2.66 MBP. The refurbished come like new and have full one year warranty and are eligible for AppleCare.

Best wishes whichever route you go.

17. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I got the 24" Cinema Display and it is really good. The colours are incredible and it's great working at such a high resolution.

The only thing I wish it did have is MORE USB ports. 3 really isn't enough for me!

18. creon macrumors 6502

If i were you i would go with the MB with the LED display. The extra screen space will be as if you have a desktop while still having the added portability of the lighter and smaller MB. You get the best of both worlds!

19. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Theres one thing that people do not understand about the LED Cinema display. Its not the same as those 4000k LED monitors because it does not have localized dimming and there will still be bleeding problems because that is trait of lcd, especially non polarized IPS like the LED 24, and not the backlights themselves. So in other words, it has no real advantage other than slightly less power consumption, which the H-IPS screen cancels out anyway since they use more than PVA and TN, and the instant brightness which can be a pro or con if your eyes need to adjust.

If you have seen what a local dimming LED LCD looks like, then you'd realize that this LED Cinema display is a gimmick. The panel is nice, but the premium for LED backlighting is not worth it.

I'd go with the Macbook with a different monitor like the NEC LCD2490WUXI (Polarized IPS - no off viewing angle or corner glow) or the 2408WFP (S-PVA - best blacks LCD can produce), or the macbook pro. Both of those will not have problems rendering blacks like the the LED Cinema display will. S-PVA view angles, although some colors have a minor color shift, are still excellent and are even superior in certain aspects to IPS as they don't darken at very wide angles and the blacks remain black.