MBP or MacMini?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by j0hnnys, Nov 11, 2010.

1. j0hnnys, Nov 11, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2010

j0hnnys macrumors member

Is a MBP w/ the same specs of a MacMini worth the extra bucks for its portability? I plan on getting a MacMini + a Netbook (notetaking in class), but I'm also interested in the MBP. I'm taking Comp Sci classes right now so I'll be using Eclipse the netbook which is cross-platform, so the different OS between the MacMini & Netbook won't matter to me. So the MBP (more $$) or a MacMini+Netbook (save $$)?
    (Edit: With the MBP, I'm talking about the 13" only)

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If you are talking about the 13" MBP, you get much more battery time than with most netbooks and a full sized keyboard (except num keys).
    If you are talking about the 15" MBP, it might be too big for classes and could be overkill.
    If you are talking about the 17" MBP, but you are not I guess.

I personally would go with the MBP, as I don't really like Windows, especially the current incarnation (GUI related), thus I don't want to mix my machines.
    And the 13" MBP is quite powerful and long lasting.

3. j0hnnys thread starter macrumors member

I'm talking about the 13" MBP. Also, the different OS really won't bother me, because all I'll do is notetake, write essays, use Eclipse(cross-platform) on the go.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Then you have to decide, that if the netbook you want to use is enough for your scholarly computational needs and the Mac mini is enough for your home needs, which netbook you want to use.

5. Xil3 macrumors regular

If you're going to use Eclipse, I definitely wouldn't recommend using a netbook. Eclipse is a huge memory hog, and netbooks are just not powerful enough to handle it.

I'm talking from experience, as I have a Samsung N140, and it was just sluggish - but if all you're doing is note-taking, then netbook is fine.

6. greythorne macrumors regular

i prefer the new mini as now its easier to upgrade the memory and hd, having said that i would go with mac mini and ipad since its for notetaking

7. j0hnnys thread starter macrumors member

hmmm.....still unsure. I sorta need those extra bucks for books too btw :\.

8. karsten macrumors 6502a

karsten

you could get the 13" mbp and use an external monitor at home. its about the same power as a mini

9. miata macrumors 6502

You can get a MBP 13 2.4/4/250 refurbshed for $1020 from the Apple Store Online. That is only $220 more than the Mac Mini with 2.4/4/320.

I just see a huge convenience in having one machine instead of two.

10. j0hnnys thread starter macrumors member

What about the Asus 1201n? I've heard from plenty of reviews and my friends that it's compact (which I like!) and powerful enough for programming.

11. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

12. tigress666 macrumors 68040

So how much is a Mac Mini + netbook going to cost you?

You can get a MBP Pro 13" with student discount for 1100 + tax (or 1100 on Amazon w/out tax long as you aren't in Washington).

Then you can have a full powered computer at your school + you can set it up to work like a desktop at home (mine's mostly used as a desktop except for when I need it to be mobile). And have all your files on one computer even.

I can't imagine it would be that much cheaper to buy the mini + a netbook (have no idea though how much a netbook costs these days). I'd go for the MBP if I had the money though.

13. ecschwarz macrumors 65816

ecschwarz

Disclosure: I have a 15" MacBook Pro w/a 21" Samsung LCD that it inherited from an old Mac mini...

If I was doing everything all over again with Apple's current lineup (when I got mine, it was either my MacBook Pro, the 13" white MacBook, or the severely underpowered Mac mini), I'd probably pick one of these configurations:

a) 13" MacBook Pro - it's lightweight, cheap, has a lot of power, and with a cheap external display as an option, who cares about the resolution/screen size on it (except maybe if you need it when traveling)?

b) Mac mini + iPad - better than a Mac mini/netbook combo from the standpoint of build quality, no hassles with keeping files synchronized, and the price is about the same as a mid-level MacBook Pro, or possible cheaper if you have your own keyboard, mouse, and display(s).

c) iMac + iPad - same as option B, but you get a built-in display, keyboard, and mouse...

d) Mac mini/iMac + 11" MacBook Air - a bit more expensive, but you get two computers. :)

14. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999