MBP or MB + Cinema Display, what do you think?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Rewes, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Rewes macrumors member

Ok, here's the deal. I have two options for my 2400 euro budget.

Option 1, 2407 eur:
    MacBook Unibody
    2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
    320GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
    SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    Apple LED Cinema Display (24” flat panel)
    Backlit Keyboard

Option 2, 2369 eur:
    MacBook Pro Unibody
    2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    320GB Serial ATA @ 7200
    Backlit Keyboard

My current machine is a 4 year old 15" PowerBook (getting slow), which is my second Mac and second PB. Love 'em!

Now, I know the differences between these two setups, but just can't seem to make up my mind. I think if I could hear which one you would choose and why, that could help a lot. Thanks!

2. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

That's tough! Here's what you could do, So you have a PowerBook now. Now The MacBook Pro will be closer to your powerbook. First ask yourself: Do I need Firewire, Powerful Graphics, Express card, Mobile Power. If you answered Yes then the Pro is for your. However if you don't really need those things or could do without them then Maybe the MacBook is your best bet. If you use your computer at a desk often then I would just get the MacBook otherwise the Pro. This really depends on how you use your computer.

What I would do is get the MacBook if it were me buying it. It has some decent graphics, I generally like to work at a desk much more then on my lap. The Computer won't be as fast but It would be pretty darn close and I would be ok without it. Then When you do want to use it on your lap you have a nice small easy to manage computer. The real advantage is you can have that extra resolution when you need it. (Photoshop, InDesign, Movie Watching etc).

3. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

I'd go with the MB + ACD. That way, you get the portability of a 13", and the desktop comfort of a 24". The only difference is the 400mhz lost, plus the slightly lower HDD speed, and those won't even be too noticeable in many apps. Then again, if you need Firewire, go with the MBP.

4. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

You should also consider the difference in graphics capability. This gives the Pro a serious advantage. Even if you don't game, the dedicated graphics will improve your overall computing experience. At least that has been my expirence, having owned both a Macbook and Macbook Pro.

5. miki66 macrumors 6502

miki66

kinda hard to decide.
    i will definitely go for the mbp because of the wider portable screen and better graphics, but, i'd love to have the ACD for even larger desktop viewing......

couldn't u save some more money and get the mbp+acd?

by the way, if you really want to stick with the budget, and will only use mac for simple task such as surfing, emails, etc. mb is fine enough:)

either way u would choose, enjoy ur :apple: purchase

6. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Are you a student in the US? If you are you can get the MBP and the 24" ACD for $2400.

7. Rewes thread starter macrumors member

Thank you all for the answers so far!

I could add that I mostly find myself using my better halfs MacBook (white one) on the couch for Internet surfing (like right now), but use my own PB, which is at a desk, when I really need to get something done. IMac is not an option as I want to have the option to take the computer with me if I feel like it, but I would really like to have a bigger screen. The last gen MacBook would also not have been an option as it didn't seem like something that would last for years, which is what I'm hoping for. The new MacBook with its unibody form and backlit keyboard has really changed everything. I'm so confused. ;)

8. Rewes thread starter macrumors member

No I'm not, hence the prices in euros.:)

9. xhambonex macrumors 6502a

My choice, MBP w/o the 2.8GHz and stick with the 2.53GHz, then what I would do is not buy a ACD, and buy a different external display from somewhere else, anywhere you can find a deal and decent screen size, you'll probably end up paying around $300 for something decent, then be at the same price point that you are shopping but with a way better computer.

ACDs look great, but if you are willing to buy a less powered (processing and graphics) MB then why need a high end, high priced ACD. Just my opinion, and I have a SR MBP 2.4GHz with a Samsung external display, no complaints, portable workhorse and when I want to relax and have that extra screen space, I just plug in.

10. Rewes thread starter macrumors member

You might have a point there. I'm starting to think that the MBP might be a more future proof option.

11. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

12. grimreaper1377 macrumors regular

How?

13. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Don't waste your money on the 2.4GHz MacBook model - it's only fractionally faster than the 2.0GHz model but it costs a LOT more. The extra cost isn't worth it IMO.

And also, you probably don't need 4GB RAM.

14. liquidh2o macrumors 6502

The difference in screen size between the MB and MBP for me was HUGE. I use a laptop on the go a lot and that extra screen real estate makes a big difference. I would save up for an external display and go the MBP route.

15. Rewes thread starter macrumors member

Yep, I'm starting to think that I will invest my money on the best MBP that I can afford to and then save for an external display. When do you think MBP's would have a Blu-Ray drive?

16. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

I wouldn't count on blu-ray If apple hasn't bothered by now I doubt it's gonna happen anytime soon. They may never adopt it, I think that's the route their headed. They have their own way of delivering movies and that's iTunes, eventually that will have 1080P and that's what apples waiting for.

17. Rewes thread starter macrumors member

That's what I'm affraid of. It just seems silly that you can buy a lot cheaper machinen from e.g. Target or WalMart that has a lot better/equal specs and Blu-Ray, but I quess that's the Apple way.

18. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Really it's expensive now, But in the future apple has the best route especially with the speed of connections and people not wanting to go out. It's actually a nice method although your right it's not a bargain.

19. Vashti macrumors member

Definitely macbook + ACD. I used to have a 15" powerbook. I found it too small at home and too heavy on the road. When it was stolen, I immediately bought a 12" powerbook and 20" ACD. I've been very, very happy with this combination. I have just bought a 2.4 macbook to replace my powerbook. Though I will be going from a pro model to a consumer model, the macbook is still way more computer than the old powerbook. And nothing beats having a big monitor at home.

Good luck.

20. Rewes thread starter macrumors member

I'm just writing to let you all know how this story ends, propably.

I have now decided to go with this:

MacBook Pro Unibody
    2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    320GB Serial ATA @ 7200
    Backlit Keyboard

I would LOVE to have a bigger screen with that, but I just can't afford it right now - I need to save for a wedding. I hope to get the 24" LCD CinemaDisplay later on. I'm sure this will be a pretty major update from my current 15" PowerBook, atleast I trully hope so. ;) Thank you all for your opinions.