Mbp or mb for iPhone programming and WOW

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by User3977, Feb 12, 2010.

1. User3977 macrumors member

I know this has been asked to death but I suck at forum searching and google searching has led me to confusion and headaches. I'm getting ready to make the plung into programming for the iPhone and well I guess the soon to be ipad. I want either a mb or the mbp but when I look it's so hard for me to tell the two apart from specs. Might be that the last apple I owned was about 10 years ago. I also would like something I could run world of Warcraft on to play with my kid, instead of having to get another desktop or laptop (PC). Oh and I'm looking at both of the 13" models. Would lime a 15 but wife says some crap about budget this and that. I don't know I try not to pay her to much attention it just causes headaches trying to understand her ;p

2. kyzen macrumors regular

In terms of power, the $1000 MB has the same cpu, ram, video, etc as the $1200 MBP.

Neither are going to run WoW exceptionally well, but either will allow for iphone/ipad development just fine.

3. User3977 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I'm not looking for high performance gaming just something that will run it so I can fiddle around with the kid. I'll kick her off if I want to run raids and stuff :p wow I have no life.

4. kyzen macrumors regular

5. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

The Macbook and 13" Macbook pro are almost identical, except one has a backlit keyboard, and is silver.

6. User3977 thread starter macrumors member

Well I went to the apple store and got the basic mb. I get a discount for gov work and opted for the 4gb memory for a total pre tax of 999. A few things to get used to. I know about the books to read but if anyone would like to put in their 2 cents on programming for the iPhone please feel free to say something.

7. kyzen macrumors regular

I'm in a similar boat; got my new MB this weekend, and am currently plugging through Programming in Objective C 2.0 by Stephen Kochan. Pretty good book overall, though I've run into a few problems since his book was written before Snow Leopard (xcode changed slightly). Been able to work through them all, it's nothing significant, just slight speedbumps :)

8. firewood macrumors 604

Being able to "work though speedbumps" is an essential part of learning to be a good programmer in the real world.

9. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

I wouldve recommended you waited for refresh and got a MBP

10. skochan macrumors regular

Make sure you go to the forum for the book at classroomM.com/objective-c. There's a topic there about the (minor) changes in the book with Xcode 3.2.

Cheers,

Steve Kochan

11. kyzen macrumors regular

That's ironic because I used to be a programmer (mostly C#, some C++ or Java when dealing with legacy or external apps) in the real world :D. I migrated over to being a Database Architect this last summer; I was at the point where I'd get home and not want to even help a friend with his coding projects, let alone work on any of my own. Doing it for a living killed any joy I got out of it.

So, now I'm cruising through Kochan's book, trying to wrap my head around some of Objective C's oddities, with the long term goal of trying to write a few iTouch/iPhone apps mostly for personal use.

And Thanks Skochan, I'll have to check that out next time I run into an issue. Great book so far though :)

12. User3977 thread starter macrumors member

And when will this happen? My crystal ball broke .......

13. kyzen macrumors regular

My brothers girlfriends dogs groomers grandmothers nephews crystal ball says they'll be released any second now!

14. greg1067 macrumors newbie

I've had a MBP since August of last year and it runs WOW with no problems other than the lag issues that Blizzard creates.

15. User3977 thread starter macrumors member

Just for the hell of it I loaded wow up on it. Min res settings in dal and I get 40-50 fps where on wives toshiba I'm lucky to run 15fps and let's not talk about out of cities I can turn res to max and still run 70-90 fps and holy cow does it look good.