MBP or MB?? Help me decide NOW!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Ysulyan, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Ysulyan macrumors member

Today's the last day for the BTS deal, folks I need to persuade myself that the MBP is really worth the extra $600. Otherwise I really like MB's portability with smaller size, MBP to me is a monster, but I do need it's power though,except I don't play games.
    There's a eaby Deal ending soon, 2.6 fully loaded MBP for $2300ish, good deal?

2. Ysulyan thread starter macrumors member

I need ONE reason to convince me to buy one now.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You'll... have the last revision of a design?

Seriously. Updates for both are imminent.

4. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

So what? The back to school deal is a great deal. Some people might not like the new aluminum case.

To the OP: Do whatever you want. The current MB is awesome. The new one will be awesome. Any Apple product is awesome. You can't lose.

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agree completely. To the OP, it really depends on which you need (or want) more; more power, or possibly greater portability. Both computers are excellent. I have a MBP myself and am very happy with it.

If power, or more importantly still, a superb screen are a major priority for you, I'd say go for the MBP. If portability, and an excellent machine for your immediate needs are the requirements, go for the MB.
    Good luck and cheers.

6. nxent macrumors 6502

if you plan on doing any gaming and actually care about performance, get the mbp. if you're doing any graphically intensive work, and actaully care about performance, get the mbp. if you're doing neither of those, get the macbook, for half the price

7. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I have had both and this poster is wrong. Performance wise there isn't much difference(for most apps). Add 4 GB RAM to the Macbook for $40 and you are set. Yes it is true the Macbook's graphics isn't as good as the Pro(that graphic card in it will have problems later for most if not all Pro's), but for games the Macbook does alright depending on how graphic intense it is.

I have owned both like I said. I owned 1 Pro and 2 Macbooks. My wife owns a Macbook.

Plus the cost isn't half unless you get the bottom of the line Macbook. You can upgrade to the Pro for about $600 like you said. You also stated what you would be using it for and it is up to you to decide if $600 is worth a couple inches of screen, backlit(which can be easily put on the Macbook by USB), and better graphics(which isn't that great IMO). Sure the Pro has a little more than that, but for your intentions that is what the difference is.

I love the Pro people when they bash the Macbook. It is really stupid to do so. They are 2 entirely different machines and you pay a lot more for yours. Most don't really need a Pro anyways, but use the gaming excuse to make people believe they do. I have seen this plenty of times.

As I said before, either machine is great and each does what it is made to do. No need to bash the other.