MBP or MB ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rjp, Apr 24, 2008.

1. rjp macrumors regular

In considering the latest generation macbooks and macbook pros, which do you like better and why?

They are available with the same processor, HD, optical drive, and RAM now as everyone knows, so I think it comes down to pretty much just the display.

I personally have no present need for the GPU, but I do value the higher quality display of the MBP. Also, the larger 15.4" screen is nice to have, but the compactness of the MB is really appealing it it's own way. In some ways, the MB seems to be a smarter product.

Not sure which I like better. Suppose price were not considered, would this change your opinion?

2. a4abt macrumors regular

MBP has the following over a MB:
    - dedicated video card (which doesn't really matter to you)
    - expressCard
    - Firewire 800
    - illuminated keyboard
    - aluminum case (mostly for looks)

3. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

No, the CPUs are different, as well as the hard drives and optical drives actually.

The difference between the two is very large in my experience - and I have both from the same generation (the MB is my dad's).

If you're asking this question, you should really get the MBP. The MB isn't that much smaller, and the slightly thinner MBP tends to go into bags better, even if it is .1 of an inch. It makes a difference.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Technically the they are the same parts, but it all depends on which configuration is chosen.

I would still recommend the MBP due its usability later in case you need the video card. However the MB battery life lasts a longer IMO.

5. rjp thread starter macrumors regular

Comparing only the 2.4GHz models.

I guess I should have been clearer. I am talking about the middle and upper MB models and the lower MBP model. These have the exact same Penryn 2.4GHz/3MBL2 processor, and same optical drive.

6. Zeos macrumors 6502

If you can, wait 'til after WWDC. Both will probably see a nice refresh.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you want to play the waiting game it means you don't need the computer now the about whether to buy it now or later is fruitless.

I just want to say this is good thing about being a compulsive buyer; buy it now and don't regret it later.

8. TaylorB macrumors regular

If your main concern with the 15" MBP is the size/portability compared to the MB, I wouldn't worry. I had a MB before a MBP and the size/weight was barely noticeable to me. I also think that the MBP advantages are worth it, considering its all fit into a 1" thick laptop.

9. steinlager macrumors regular

I personally find the MBP way more appealing than the macbook. I was at a friends house and I whipped out my MBP, and she said, "wow, nice laptop." It feels pretty good to hear that :D

10. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

Biggest plus to me, that no one has yet mentioned, is the screen. The extra size on th MBP was the main selling point for me.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Actually to some people they might call the MBP too big. :rolleyes:

12. exegete77 macrumors 6502a

I bought a MBP (15" matte) when the latest came out. I just returned from being on the road for 30 days. It was a workhorse, traveled well, and fit my needs exactly. Definitely glad I went the MBP route.

13. g808 macrumors regular

Get a MacBook Air. ;)

Best of both worlds. Incredible display, smaller size, enough power for a portable, sturdy construction, etc.

Go to an Apple Store and you'll know deep down which one you really want. It's always best to get what you truly want and not think too practically since you'll end up regretting not satisfying your want.

14. 7031 macrumors 6502

Well yeah, the Macbook Air is appealing, but it's definitely not fast enough for my needs. Also, it costs far too much for a lot of people, considering the specs.

15. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

Re: Mb/mbp

I was stuck in the same decision. Well actually I'm still stuck really... I just have a better idea of what I want - considering I'm having the notebook bought for my birthday I can't just go ahead and get it now.

I suppose this is kinda good cause I'm forced to wait for the June update (if there even is one) before the order gets placed in time for mid July.

What really clinched it for me was that I'm gonna end up getting Red Alert Three for the computer. I've never been all in to gaming or anything apart from on the console (Dreamcast and Xbox Crystal) except for the Red Alert games (I dunno... some natural attraction to Tesla Coils maybe) but I'm gonna need a machine capable of running it. Sadly, 144MB gfx from an integrated card isn't quite enough to let it run smoothly.

That and I'm going to be doing moderate video work and I want Final Cut Express which will, I know, run very well on the MacBook. But I'm too impatient to wait for rendering times and whatnot so the MacBook Pro suddenly seems like a far better idea.

The screen too is slightly larger which, whilst making it a bit bigger to carry, doesn't make it any more cumbersome. The extra size is incredibly useful too if you're gonna be using the notebook for watching DVDs or TV from a decoder stick.

On top of that, the Pro is made of aluminium, which is much more durable than polycarbonate and doesn't chip (much... my aluminium keyboard has a dent thank you very much gravity) and looks much nicer after a few years wear and tear. Trust me. Compare a heavily used iBook Snow and a PowerMac G5 and you'll see the difference.

Finally; multi-touch. Man is it awesome! Even if you don't think you'll ever use it, you do. Scrolling, fiddling with things in Pages, flipping through documents in a hurry to find something - all brilliant. And fun too.

Also, I haven't read to check but I'm sure the Pro's battery lasts longer than the MacBooks... but don't hold me to that cause I haven't looked.

16. rjp thread starter macrumors regular

GPU gets used more often then I thought...

I have both a MBP and a regular MB and I am impressed with how much faster the MBP handles lots of stuff involving graphics. Not just games, but even things like iPhoto work faster. I didn't think the GPU got involved with iPhoto, so I was suprised to see this. If you want to see for yourself, go to an IPhoto event and open one of the pics full screen then lean on the right arrow so all the images fly past quickly at full resolution. The MBP plays this like a video it's so fast! The MB is about 2 pics per second.

Also, when I do this I see the GPU temps on the MBP heating up rapidly, which confirms it is being used in this test.

What other ordinary applications are using the GPU I wonder?