MBP or MBA 13"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sheen911, Jan 8, 2011.

1. sheen911 macrumors newbie

Hello everybody..hehe..been wondering which 1 should i get for my college needs. This will be my first mac. My needs? Not much.. very light computing stuff (usual stuff like office or iwork, facebook, youtube,) and maybe the djay3 app too. Won't be gaming much, as i prefer to game with buddies at Cyber Cafes.

Like the Air for its thin form factor, higher resolution screen, ssd, and i know it wont get hot with what i'm using it for anyways.
    Don't like the fact it doesn't have a backlit keyboard and none upgradeable.

Like the Pro for its better specs lower price and its upgradeable later on.
    The heat part, i do hate laptops that just heat up with just medium loads. The screen resolution is smaller, but i think i could deal with that.

Wondered if i changed the hdd with sdd in MBP, would it be as instant as the air? Cause i've tested out the 13" air and it was almost instant in terms of "opening n ready for use" in almost all apps. Which i would prefer over brute processing power.

Portability is important, cause i do need to travel fair distances during semester brakes. I've carried a 12" 2kilo laptop before, and i didnt like it. (​

2. jwp1964 macrumors regular

I had to make the same choice and ended up with the MBP. It seemed to offer more for the dollar than the MBA. Just my two cents worth. If I need real portability my iPhone can do most stuff I need. Good luck making your choice.

3. sheen911 thread starter macrumors newbie

hmmm... i have an ipod touch, that would change hopefully this year, wait for the new iphone to cum and get iphone4 ..hehe..
    i'm unsure..see, i like both air n pro, bt the refresh for the pro is gona happen in a few months, when that happens i could save a hundred or two caz their gona sell the left over of the 2010 version at cheaper prices. bt if buy the air, it wont hurt caz it probably wont c a refresh anytime soon.:confused:

4. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

the air is incredibly light and thin with better performance for what you'll be doing than the pro. (more CPU intensive tasks is where the pro will shine, however for what you noted the Air will be faster thanks to SSD).

5. tim100 macrumors 65816

a ssd in the mbp will not provide instant on nor 30 day stand by. mbp will get updated soon and may add ssd and longer stand by.

6. blackberrypilot macrumors 6502

The macbook pro. Its still ultra portable. The macbook air is more in between the MBP and the iPad to me.

7. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

MBP. I am a college student and it fits my needs perfectly.

8. gonzaload1987 macrumors regular

I would say go for the MBA, i know that the MBP is also portable, but once you use a while the MBA you'll never go back :D:D.

The battery is just awesome, and remember about the resolution that has the 13'' MBA vs 13'' MBP and it's huge to work and take advantage of the screen to work.

Don't forget about the SSD on the MBA, it makes a perfect ecosystem and all works like a dream.

9. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

My 13" MBP has been perfect for me so far in college, If you dont need it now though, I would wait for the refresh.

10. EspressoLove macrumors 6502

EspressoLove

Wow, you kids are jocks ;):D

My 13"C2D MBA is too heavy for me ...
    I'll upgrade to 11"SB when I have enough to splurge on i7/SB iMac :rolleyes:

11. opera57 macrumors 6502

They are both great machines, I had a MBP before getting a 13" Macbook Air and I prefer it quite a lot more... the SSD makes it feel so much faster in day to day use and the fact it is lighter means I am willing to take it to more places and is more comfortable to use on your lap.. the 13" MBP feels really heavy to me now I'm used to the MBA! [​IMG]

12. tim100 macrumors 65816