MBP or MBA (refresh)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jmcube, Jun 6, 2013.

1. jmcube macrumors member

Hello,

I currently have a 128 GB mid2011 MBA13inch. I need something with more space, and faster is better. I was hoping to get a rMBP, but right now it doesn't seem like there will be a refresh next week. I am leaving the country for some months, so next week is (likely) the best time to buy a laptop this year. Last time I got the MBA because it was lighter and had better resolution than the MBP.

Here are my needs:
    Light
    13inch
    >=256 GB
    Resolution/Speed are important but would be compared to price/etc

Questions (I assume screens will not change, nor prices):
    How does the proposed MBA compare to the current rMBP?
    How does it compare to the cMBP? (is cMBP getting an upgrade?)
    How does the proposed MBA compare to future rMBP?

I know that Apple could surprise, but basically I need to be ready to make the purchase (or not make the purchase and find another solution) early next week.

Thanks,
    Jon

2. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

Why not get the new MBA with 256GB? It you value a retina display then get a retina MBP. However, I think it's going to ship in the end of the month and not on the day like the MBA will. But, you can always purchase the laptop later since your machine should be good enough for now right?

What tasks do you require more computing power? I think storage is your biggest problem, looking at your post.

3. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

Apple will hold an event early next week (WWDC) and it may launch new laptops. According to the rumors, it may unveil a new MBA (very likely), rMBP (likely) and/or cMBP (unlikely).

If the MBA gets an upgrade, and the rMBP doesn't, the MBA will have a Haswell processor, which is much more power-efficient. So, expect the MBA to have a better battery life. It will also have a more powerful integrated video card, although the difference will depend on which version of the processor Apple adopts. As for the CPU, the MBA uses an ultra-low voltage version, which is usually slower than the standard-voltage versions on the rMBP. If the MBA has a Haswell inside, and the rMBP keeps an Ivy Bridge, expect them both to be about the same in terms of processor speed.

The cMPB is probably not getting an upgrade. The cMPB is heavier, thicker, has a lower resolution display, a slow HDD and uses Ivy Bridge processors. I wouldn't bother thinking of the cMPB, unless you need expandability and/or upgradeability.

The future rMBP will have a faster processor and probably a faster video card.

You're basically stuck with some choices here: (i) if Apple releases both the rMBP and the MBA, you may buy any of them (the rMBP if you prefer power or the MBA if you focus on cost); (ii) if Apple only releases the MBA and not the rMBP, you'll have to choose between a brand-new Haswell processor and a gorgeous display.

4. jmcube, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2013

jmcube thread starter macrumors member

I usually favor slower processor speed and lower temperatures/greater battery life to be honest.

If proposed MBA is roughly equivalent in speed to current rMBP, I think that I would take the MBA (at current price points). If the rMBP was noticeably faster, I would need to think about it and would probably get the rMBP.

So thank you for the information that they would be equivalent speed wise.

I was considering the cMBP so I didn't have this issue in the future, and because in the future I might generally hook it up to a large screen, and so the laptop screen would be less important (and when it was important or I needed something very mobile, I could use the my old MBA). In my earlier purchase I barely considered the MBP because it didn't have the resolution and was too heavy to carry everywhere.

Jon

5. Bear macrumors G3

Based on this statement, I suspect you'll be leaning towards a rMBP. The processors that go in to the Airs are about very low power usage, not about speed.

6. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    Apple have retail outlets right around the world these days, so depending on where you're going to be travelling, why not wait until the refreshed models become available and then buy what you want from wherever you are.
    (unless of course you're working in a uranium mine in Outer Mongolia or trekking the Himalayas - though a flight from Kathmandu to Delhi is only US$28 with Druk Air)

from what I've been reading, the new processors will yield both better graphics performance and longer battery life across the range.

7. jmcube thread starter macrumors member

Because I would pay twice as much, there are no retail outlets where I live (just resellers, and usually old models), and I wouldn't be able to get an english/american keyboard.

Jon

8. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    Apple Store online is your friend or else call them direct, tell them your requirements and see what they say.
    there are always ways and means …

9. jmcube thread starter macrumors member

I have some experience out of the US.

In Sweden english keyboard was doable on online orders (I no longer live in Sweden). In my current situation it is not so easy, and I am not interested in receiving the computer shipped to me. Obviously nothing could be done about the 1.5-2x cost anyways.

No, it is better that I get something during my current visit.

Faster is definitely also a priority to me, so if the proposed MBA is still 'slow' I might get current rMBP/cMBP.

Thanks,
    Jon

10. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

I don't know if they'll be equivalent speed wise. I'm just guessing it based on tests performed with desktop processors. The performance of the MBA will depend on the processors which are actually used.

11. jmcube thread starter macrumors member

OK.

We know a bit more now.

And I am hurting on my MBA mid2011, not just for space but for speed (I get reminded sometimes).

Is there any comparisons between the Top MBA2013 and the rMBP?

Thanks,
    Jon

12. ukchris macrumors newbie

I'm in a similar position with a 2011 MBA. I was ready to buy a 13" rMBP as I want more space, higher screen resolution and more options (USB3, SD Card etc). Now I'm torn again, looks like the updated MBA would give me everything except the increased screen resolution, kind of feels like I need a Haswell rMPB, was anything announced in that regard? If it was I missed it.

13. jmcube, Jun 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2013

jmcube thread starter macrumors member

Benchmarks, not including newest MBA ($1550):

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2012)
    Intel Core i7-3667U 2000 MHz (2 cores)

$1900
    MacBook Pro (13-inch Retina Early 2013)
    Intel Core i7-3540M 3000 MHz (2 cores)

$1700
    MacBook Pro (13-inch Retina Early 2013)
    Intel Core i5-3230M 2600 MHz (2 cores)

(looks like the i7 is really important)

what I have:
    MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2011)
    Intel Core i5-2557M 1700 MHz (2 cores)

So how will 2013 MBA (i7) compare to 2012 MBA (i7) and 2013 MBP (i7). The classic MPB 15inch ($1800) is actually cheaper than the retinal configuration with an i7 and the lowest 15 inch retina ($2200) is not so far above...

Jon

14. jmcube thread starter macrumors member

I know it is not 13 inch, but this seems to be the best for the money:

$1800
    MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012)
    Intel Core i7-3615QM 2300 MHz (4 cores)

And can be upgraded (RAM/SSD)

Jon

15. jmcube thread starter macrumors member

Anyone reading will notice that I am still considering, and only have a couple of days left to buy.

I think that I would want an MBA 2013 or classic MBP 15. I already have an MBA 2011.

My needs are:

mobile although not required (I can use the MBA 2011 for this)
    maybe <$2000 (if not, then I could consider rMBP 15)
    would be nice to have GPU but not at all required
    be able to run a large monitor
    be able to do so while running video skype/~20 tabs/preview/pages/keynote/other programs

Jon