MBP or MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Joel95, Jun 21, 2011.

  1. Joel95 macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 28, 2011
    #1
    I am a student going to go overseas to study in august and my 2007 Macbook chose the worst time to die. At least two major components needs replacing or maintenance so I estimate the replacements would cost me around $300-$400 and that's if I get it replaced from a third party repairer.

    Should I wait for the 2012 MBP, or should I get the July MBAs?
    I think the MBP fits me more but I don't think it's worth fixing a 2007 Macbook so I can use it for a few more months.
    The processing power of the july MBA will be much better than my Macbook and will be more than enough for me but I was wishing to play Battlefield 3 (avid fan) - which should be possible on the 2012 15'' MBP.
     
  2. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

    xxBURT0Nxx

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2009
    #2
    Doesn't sound like you need a computer too bad if you are willing to wait 8 months to get it.

    What components failed that is going to cost $400?

    You do realize the cost for a 2012 mbp that will be able to play BF3 is probably going to be upwards of $2000 right?
     
  3. Joel95, Jun 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2011

    Joel95 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 28, 2011
    #3
    LCD needs replacement-backlight not working and probably the logic board too-Macbook won't boot, not battery problem.
    Probably a pipe dream-I have a gaming PC at home but I will be only be able to play it on holidays. But i would like to be able to play some games, like bad company 2, I know current 13"" MBP are powerful enough to run it.

    I'm sure something else will break once i repair the LCD and logic board-my hard drive is clicking occasionally, case is cracked, and the machine is just very slow. Applecare expired, so it would be beyond terrifying for me if my Macbook breaks down abroad.
     
  4. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

    xxBURT0Nxx

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2009
    #4
    Well I guess you can answer your question yourself. Do you want to wait 8+ months for a macbook pro?
     
  5. Joel95 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 28, 2011
    #5
    Probably not. I'll go for the MBA. Thanks for the help :p
     
  6. tombubi macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2011
    #6
    Waiting is a pain. For MBA, you are almost there. So go for it!!
     

Share This Page