MBP or no MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by magicshow, Nov 5, 2008.

1. magicshow macrumors newbie

I have my eyes set on the new 2.4GHz aluminum 15" Macbook Pro.. approx. $2500CDN including tax..

However.. my Toshiba is speedy & working perfectly and can do what i want to do..
    Here are the specs:
    CPU:Core 2 Duo 1.55GHz
    2GB RAM
    250GB HDD
    nVidia 7600 Go

So.. my question is if you think the increase in performance from the Toshiba to the MBP is worth $2500....

I really want to get the MBP but just not sure if it's worth it in terms of performance gained/$ spent...

not sure if i can hold for another 6 months for revision B..

2. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

difficult one...it will be significantly faster, better quality and you get OS X. Saying that i think you should wait. If your current computer is meeting all your needs then keep it around and see what happens. Apples are only gonna get better, and that 2500 will get you more in the next revision.
    In my opinion, get the Mbp when you need one and get all the use out of your toshiba

3. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

It sounds like you're suffering from the "Ohhh, it's new and shiny!" syndrome.

Honestly, if your current computer meets your current computing style, you don't need the new MBP. It's a luxury purchase, ans an expensive one at that.

Wait until your Toshiba dies, or until it will no longer handle the tasks you use regularly. Or until you can drop the money on a new MBP without having to ask if it's worth the cost to purchase.

4. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Wait until Snow Leopard comes out (scheduled for Summer '09) and see if you need a new computer by then.

5. TheHoff macrumors 6502

That is a significant processor jump so if you run Photoshop or Lightroom, you will see a visible speed increase. If you can get the new MBP to 4G of RAM, even better.

The real treat in the switch is OS X (I just switched as well). And yes, it is a luxury purchase in this era we should be saving; it is shiny and new and fast, but do you make money with it? Will it help you in anything productive?

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agree with the other posters. Wait until the next significant upgrades (next year, sometime) and/or your trusty Toshiba dies. Apple will still be here, and the computers will only get better.

If your Toshiba expires before the next updates - and money is an issue - I'd suggest you think of going the refurb route.

Cheers and good luck

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

This is good advice, and I agree completely.