MBP or not

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cherry9038, Jan 28, 2010.

  1. cherry9038 macrumors newbie

    cherry9038

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2010
    #1
    I'm a newbie to this forum but I've gone through lots relative threads. I understand that 'if you need it, then buy it', but honestly I'm a poor student so I really need your professional opinion :)

    I'm currently staying in my home country (Hong Kong) but will be leaving in 3 weeks to Sydney, so I have to make up my mind in the end of this week. I've been waiting for the 'refresh MBP' like many others in this forum, and I can't tell how disappointed I am.

    Since I'm still in college, I can only get a new laptop with installment which my family will be paying it. So I really need something that can last for like 3-4 years and would help my study.

    I'm doing a Design Computing course which will need to use a lot of Adobe software including AE, Pr and Final Cut Pro. I'll learn to develop iPhone/iPad apps in the coming year, some data visualization and human-computer interaction stuff as well, so I really want a better laptop (current one is a 3 years-old Fujitsu Lifebook. I'm lucky that I can sleep in Mac labs to finish my 3D project last year).

    So I really need some opinion from you guys, whether I should
    (1) give up on getting a MBP this time, wait till a refresh one n get it next year (yes, Next Year = 2011, cos I only go back to HKG once a year D; )
    (2) get the current MBP, which may upgrade anytime, but then I don't need to sleep over in Mac labs to get my work done

    Sorry if my question looks stupid :( but I really can't decide..
     
  2. Clete2 macrumors 65816

    Clete2

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2008
    Location:
    USA
    #2
    In your specific case, I would recommend buying a MBP. It sounds like you really need it and it is not a want.

    For me, I have a laptop. It doesn't work well, but I have one. I can get by and wait for a refresh.

    You, however, need a laptop. If I were in your shoes, I would buy now.
     
  3. cherry9038 thread starter macrumors newbie

    cherry9038

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2010
    #3
    my current laptop can handle basic photo editing and a limited of time for video editing... it crashes once AE/Pr has launched for like 30 mins LOL...

    ps. do u think I can order the MBP online on apple.com/hk but ship it to Australia?
     
  4. Habitus macrumors 6502a

    Habitus

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2009
    Location:
    Where ever my life takes me...
    #4
    That's a great question!

    In my opinion, I suggest the 15" 2.66GHz MBP. You're giving your self enough computing power (not to mention the standard 4GB of RAM) for now and some leeway for future use, too.

    You can't go wrong with this MBP, mate.

    Cheers,

    Habitus :apple:
     
  5. cherry9038 thread starter macrumors newbie

    cherry9038

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2010
    #5
    thanks for ur advise :)

    i hv 100% trust on Apple products :apple:

    but the only concern for me is, can the current one last for like 3 yrs. cos my uni frds r alrdy talking abt the new upcoming Adobe CS5, which I just learned the CS4 last year...

    I'm worried if this MBP will be able to support all those new upcoming software esp. AE n flash :( these 2 always crash b4 I save..

    n the high 15" is a bit over my budget already (I know... I'm poor:() I was considering to get a low 13" n DIY to 4GB ram
     
  6. XxEjGxX macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 18, 2009
    #6
    i think it would be wise to just get one now [​IMG] sounds like you actually need one
     
  7. sossy19 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2010
    #7
    personally i don't see the rush, you ccould always buy one in sydney. unless the price difference is substantial. you'll be eligible for the education discount and receive a free ipod touch. just ask your parents to wire the money for it and send them the receipt, that way you can still wait for the refresh, given you'll start march i presume, even if you have to wait a couple of weeks after you start.
     
  8. RudyGrow macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 12, 2009
    #8
    I would go for a refurb 13 inch model ($999) and then upgrade the ram and hard drive (7200 rpm?). It's what I did and never looked back :p
     
  9. puma1552 macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2008
    #9
    It would be foolish not to wait at this point.

    Go to Australia, order it from apple/hk, and have your family ship it to you since Apple won't ship internationally (wtf).
     
  10. dead goon macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2009
    Location:
    Melbourne, Australia
    #10
    Try and buy in Hong Kong, it is cheaper than buying a Mac in Australia.
     
  11. cherry9038 thread starter macrumors newbie

    cherry9038

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2010
    #11
    thanks for all the replies :)

    but i got 3 Yes n 3 No now lol...

    buying the MBP in Hong Kong is definitely a lot cheaper so I won't consider getting it in Australia, and I can get them both with Education price
    (regular price: low 13" is abt USD1190 in HK but USD1430 in AUS... 300 bucks difference on a same MBP :apple: buying anything in Sydney is a rip off...)

    think I'll wait 2 more Tuesdays n see if they'll announce the upgrade... I hope they will >"<

    I thought abt asking my family to ship it over when the refresh one comes out, but I'm not sure if it's Safe to do so... is DHL trust worthy in carrying these fragile items?
     
  12. mac1984user macrumors 6502a

    mac1984user

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2009
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    #12
    If it's any consolation, I just bought a MacBook Pro. I'm not such a fanboy as to say 'Buy it now!', because realistically, I know I'd be pissed off if they released new MacBooks on Tuesday. If they upgrade the machines significantly in the next two weeks, then I will be returning mine. If not, then Core 2 Duo it is. The thing is...the difference between a Core 2 Duo and an i5 is very significant, but it's not quite the difference as there was between, say the G5 and the Core Duo. Software still runs on the Core Duo that no longer runs on the G5. I think the current machine will easily last you 4 years. In May 2003, I bought a November 2002 model Titanium PowerBook. It was working STRONG until I accidently ripped a cord off the motherboard a couple months ago. I went through an undergraduate and graduate degree on a PowerPC G4 chip that was seven years old by the time I broke it. I think the Core 2 Duo will last you at least that long.
     
  13. bentmywookie macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2002
    Location:
    Palo Alto
    #13
    If I may chime in with the longevity of Apple laptops, I can say from experience that I actually use my Apple laptops for 3-4 years always! In fact I am typing this right now on a Core Duo (NOT Core 2 Duo) original Macbook that is still going strong at 3.5 years - and I do not plan on buying a new one till the summer at the earliest (and this guy even has the crappy Intel integrated graphics).

    It sounds like you need one (as previous posters have pointed out) - a 13" Macbook or Macbook Pro w/ upgraded ram should remain a very capable computer for you for 4 years. And if you find extra money to spend - grab an Intel SSD drive!

    Lastly - regarding the Macbook Pro update - I'm not sure how major it will be besides having the better i5 processor which won't give you better battery life but will give you a bit more computing power. But I think a Macbook or Macbook Pro will provide you with sufficient computing power.

    So if you definitely cannot wait, then don't worry - your computer will last you a while. If you find that somehow you can wait, then new ones are bound to come out soon.
     

Share This Page